Arches - Balanced Rock Panorama

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited October 24, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi All,

I've finally gotten to my last day of Arches shots from my recent trip! Phew. It's taken me a while, but I am almost done processing my pics. :D

I wanted to share this shot of Balanced Rock that I was pretty happy with:

400870206_Np2gC-X3-1.jpg
Canon 30D with 28-135 IS lens. 6 shot pano stitched using PTGui and finalized in CS3.

I was surprised at the intensity of colors in these shots. They were taken at a pretty bad time light wise at 3 pm. However, the sun was to my back, and a polarizer really made the sky pop. I love the deep blue on this particular day due to the clarity of the air.

Wait till you see the IR shot! :lust

James

Comments

• jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Here's another shot of balanced rock from closer:

400870121_CuUgY-XL-1.jpg

James
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    jamesl wrote:
    Hi All,

I've finally gotten to my last day of Arches shots from my recent trip! Phew. It's taken me a while, but I am almost done processing my pics. :D

I wanted to share this shot of Balanced Rock that I was pretty happy with:

Canon 30D with 28-135 IS lens. 6 shot pano stitched using PTGui and finalised in CS3.

I was surprised at the intensity of colors in these shots. They were taken at a pretty bad time light wise at 3 pm. However, the sun was to my back, and a polariser really made the sky pop. I love the deep blue on this particular day due to the clarity of the air.

Wait till you see the IR shot! iloveyou.gif

James

Beautiful James, came together very nicely, cant see any faults in the sewing thumb.gif

Can even see the snow caped mountains in the background.
    Well Done! clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Simply spectacular!!clap.gifclapclap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    There is a *lot* of stuff going on in that pano... and it works! I like the composition (I might clone out the people in the middle, but they're hard to notice anyway).
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    :jawdrop That pano is SICK!! When I learn to edit I want to be like you! bowdown.gifiloveyou.gif

Very nice James you have posted some amazing shots and this might be the best one yet. clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited October 24, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Beautiful James, came together very nicely, cant see any faults in the sewing thumb.gif

Can even see the snow caped mountains in the background.
    Well Done! clap.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy! I appreciate it. It sure was an awesome site to see.

James
    edited October 24, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Simply spectacular!!clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks Jack! Glad you enjoyed them. :D
    edited October 24, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Super clap.gif

Thanks Dan! Good to see you.
    edited October 24, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    There is a *lot* of stuff going on in that pano... and it works! I like the composition (I might clone out the people in the middle, but they're hard to notice anyway).

Woah! I didn't even notice the people in there. I guess it kind of gives it a sense of scale for the whole scene. But I will probably clone it out so that it is one less thing going on. :)

Thanks!

James
    edited October 24, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    :jawdrop That pano is SICK!! When I learn to edit I want to be like you! bowdown.gifiloveyou.gif

Very nice James you have posted some amazing shots and this might be the best one yet. clap.gif

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, although I hope it didn't make you sick. mwink.gif I was surprised that it came out well, give the crappy time of day that I shot it.

James
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    Beautiful work, James. iloveyou.gif

This also blows the theory out of the water that says that CP's only work at right-angles to the SUN. I'm gonna start using mine more after seeing this. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 24, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Beautiful work, James. iloveyou.gif

This also blows the theory out of the water that says that CP's only work at right-angles to the SUN. I'm gonna start using mine more after seeing this. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

I tell you, I pretty much just keep mine on all the time anymore. Even with a bit of gradient in the overall sky, I vastly prefer the polarized sky to non-polarizer. thumb.gif Good luck!

James