400978315_Nfgva-L.jpg

400984309_mpkrM-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Poses are my "thing"...and your poses here are superb! Love them! #1 is tops! All of these , for me at least could be simple photos of this persons visage.. they are good and unique as well, with maybe one repeat.

Your lighting is my pref, so you'll have to find someone else to not like the lighting...well done~~ tom

What is it you do not like?
    tom wise
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I luv them all except for the last pose. Looks a little forced. Other than that very good stuff !!

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Beautiful. I like this kind of lighting, too. I was going to try to list my favorites, but I keep shifting. Many good shots, nice poses, beautiful light, natural expressions. A lot to like.

Caroline
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Emily, nice series, thumb.gif
    I don't think they deserve fear-inducing 18+ moniker, since everything pretty much PG deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Emily, nice series, thumb.gif
    I don't think they deserve fear-inducing 18+ moniker, since everything pretty much PG deal.gif

I agree, but some people's definition of what's acceptable varies, so I'd rather err on the safe side. :D
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    Poses are my "thing"...and your poses here are superb! Love them! #1 is tops! All of these , for me at least could be simple photos of this persons visage.. they are good and unique as well, with maybe one repeat.

Your lighting is my pref, so you'll have to find someone else to not like the lighting...well done~~ tom

What is it you do not like?

Thanks Tom. I actually was pretty pleased with these, but wanted to see how others viewed them and if there were any nit-picky flaws.
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    Thanks Dave and Caroline!
    Emily

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Fantastic! The last one does seem forced....but guess what....I think that's what actually HELPS this image! She looks a bit strained....and it works!

Really good series GS!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Emily, it's always great to see new stuff from you!!

I like the pose and lighting best on #6. I think that it's a nice balance of each.

I always think that posing models is a little tricky, especially when you see things you maybe wanted to try after the session is over and they've gone home. But really nice job thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    Thanks Idlewild and schmoo!
    Emily

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Emily, there are three things which worry me about this set.

First, I find the cropping too cramped. Your lighting style suggests you were imagining something ethereal - airiness, luminosity - and I think the other ingredient should be space. However, you have cropped to contain the figure but not much of her ambiance. So to me, she looks boxed-in. Maybe you also wanted to give the shots some intimacy. If so, it is antagonistic I think to the ethereal idea.

Then, for me the difference in the materials of the draperies is distracting. The vertical one is comparatively coarse and stiff, while what she is sitting on is very soft and sheer. They do different things with the light. That they are both white only accentuates their differences. They conflict, for me. If the idea was to present the model in a setting suggesting a bedroom, then maybe something more bedroomy might have been better. Otherwise, something more theatrical, perhaps. For me, now, these draperies call attention to themselves because of their different qualities and because of not creating an effective ambiance for the subject, just a background.

The third worry I have is that the contrast and toning on the model is too heavy, I think. I can appreciate how you wanted to have the interplay of light and shadow, the mystery of ethereal light and secretive shadow. To my eye, the subject is to some extent a victim of that. I think the toning of #4 is the most successful, partly because she is able to make a statement of her own, extra to your chiaroscuro intentions.

Thanks for posting these. They helped me see some issues in this kind of photography.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    loubellloubell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Poses
    The first photograph is spectacular! clap.gif

Secondly I disagree with Neil (Sorry Neil) I find the use of different materials in the photograph very interesting indeed! It gives the photographs texture whereas without the use of different materials there wouldn't be a lot of texture to display.

In a series of expressing the sexuality of a woman without showing too much...you captured that essence. The shadow and contrast are perfect in #2 - It is not so much the contrast as it is to her natural expression. The last pose does seem a little forced, but it is also beautiful. The lighting in all of these is fantastic. I don't know if you used natural lighting from the window or not, but whatever you did really set the woman and the setting in a perfect sequence of beauty and tranquility.
    ~If you're photographing in color you show the color of their clothes - if you use black and white, you will show the color of their soul.~

http://www.myspace.com/loubellsunrise

http://www.freespiritphotography.com/smugmug
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    #3 is my favorite, after that #6.

Personally I don't like the lighting in the rest, but that's clearly a preference issue since you've had some excellent photographers say that they like what you've done.

What did you use as your background? I like the texture it has.
  • Options
    loubellloubell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Revisit
    I keep coming back to look at these photographs you posted! I LOVE them! Again I had to comment and say great job. I can't say enough about your work... You are very talented with the camera.
    ~If you're photographing in color you show the color of their clothes - if you use black and white, you will show the color of their soul.~

http://www.myspace.com/loubellsunrise

http://www.freespiritphotography.com/smugmug
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    loubell wrote:
    I keep coming back to look at these photographs you posted! I LOVE them! Again I had to comment and say great job. I can't say enough about your work... You are very talented with the camera.

Thank you so much! I still have several portraits from this shoot to work up. There never is enough time...
    Emily

• Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    MagicKiwi wrote:
    #3 is my favorite, after that #6.

Personally I don't like the lighting in the rest, but that's clearly a preference issue since you've had some excellent photographers say that they like what you've done.

What did you use as your background? I like the texture it has.

Here's the setup:

Front door and 2 sheer (crinkled) curtains. Crinkles are obviously a little different between the two. Open the door and hang one curtain over it (backdrop). The other curtain is a really long swag, So I hang it in front of and behind the glass storm door, then continue to drap it over our large ottoman. Stick very talented model on it. :D There is no variance in the light...all natural and diffused.
    Emily

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    #6 is really a beautiful pose and and photo
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    #6 is really a beautiful pose and and photo

Thanks Andy, I think that's one of my favorites too.
    Emily