What about a Canon G10 for landscapes?

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited November 8, 2008 in Cameras
I'm thinking about replacing a couple of wider angle lenses that I use on my XSi, with a Canon G10.

Has anyone used or bought this camera yet to give a short review.

I'd like to use this basically for landscapes.
I'm getting tired of dragging around a 25 pound pack to take 5 pictures at a scenic overlook.

The specs look good, but I'd like to see some real world shots if I could.

Another question about it that I can't seem to find an answer for: Can you use the zoom while shooting a movie?
I know some P&S can't zoom while movie making.

Am I crazy for thinking like this?
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Andy has one, and has posted pics on here with it. From Moab, I think?

Also, I think Marc has one, or is going to get one, can't remember which. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif

So to directly answer Davev's question, I think, for scenic overlooks? And plenty of other landsapes? WHY NOT??? You can get awesome quality from these P&Ss and the G10 is no exception.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif

So to directly answer Davev's question, I think, for scenic overlooks? And plenty of other landsapes? WHY NOT??? You can get awesome quality from these P&Ss and the G10 is no exception.

Great..

Make me look into getting a G10 now, Andy. Just .. great. headscratch.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    Great..

Make me look into getting a G10 now, Andy. Just .. great. headscratch.gif

Plenty of holidays coming up. You deserve a gift for yourself. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Thanks for the links and reponses.

It looks as though the G10 will be the next thing to go into my camera bag.

I need to retool.
    I have 4 camera bodies, and at least a dozen lenses.
    I need to figure out what i want to keep, and what needs to go.

Thanks again for your input.
    dave.

• CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Any opinions on how the G9/10 compares with the Panasonic LX3 in terms of IQ?
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Here is cameralab's comparison in terms of noise against the G9. Haven't see any official G10 reviews yet.
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_LX3/noise.shtml
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    I think it all depends on your needs. If you want to shoot landscapes, and blow up your images past A4 or A3, I think you'll see the difference between your XSi and any small sensored camera. I have far from the best resolution in my DLSRs (5MP and 10MP, both considered to be pretty noisy sensors). But still, the images from my DSLR have a richer look to them than the look I got from my Ricoh GX100 and get from my Panasonic LX3. If I'd know I'd not print larger than A4, the LX3 would do me fine. But so does my old tech 5MP DSLR.

But to be quite honest, the gallery Andy shows wouldn't impress me much for landscapes. For smaller prints and webviews it'd be more than fine. But if you dowload and original (for instance from the cactus, shot at ISO 80 at f8 / 1/125), I'm presented with a bit plastic/watercolor look that I don't especially like. It's not that I like to pixel peep (I guess I wouldn't dare to use the higher ISOs in my Olympus DSLRs if I did), but coming from a limited DSLR, I have some experience in judging blow up capability. The better the full size view, the better the ability to blow up. And yes, I feel the same about my LX3. It's a fun camera to have around, and I like using it. As I would like using a G10.

For many shots, the outcome of these cameras will be more than fine. And for many users, they'd be as well. But seeing that you once decided to spend money on a DSLR and lenses, and hang around a photo forum, I figure you're critical about your images. If that is the case, for a good landscape, I'd prefer carrying one wideangle lens over a G10.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Interesting thread on the G10's noise levels here. Really interesting stuff starts on page 2. I'm not sure if you need to create a log-in to read it or not.

Basically the G10 at iso 80 has a similar S/N ratio as the 1D3 at iso 1600.

I purchased an LX3 as I do a fair amount of video and wanted the HD option. As well I liked being able to go to 24mm on the wide end. Trade-off was about 5mp (15 vs 10 )

The S/N results for the LX3 haven't been posted yet, but it will be interesting to see how it compares with fewer photosites on a similarly sized chip.

Edit: I just contacted the EJ who did the noise tests on the G10 and have gotten the info needed to do the same thing for the LX3 - so the results for the Panasonic should be up in the next few days (can't shoot until tomorrow.)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Scott Bourne over at TWIP choose the LX3 over the G10, saying it performs better at higher ISO than the Canon (higher being 800)

http://twipphoto.com/archives/1426#more-1426
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Hello,

Emil just posted the results for the Panasonic LX3 here.

I'll let you look at his graphs and numbers, but the opening line was pretty telling

"I have to say, I am quite impressed with the LX3 sensor; I couldn't believe the efficiency number when I first got it. ..."

Clearly the G10 and LX3 are not your average P&S cameras.
    edited October 31, 2008
    I might have to let some more reviews come out for me to pick one of these up.

The Panasonic's lens is so damn short, it makes it hard for me to take.
    But then again, if I'm looking to use it for landscapes, the 4mm wider, and the 60mm on the long end
    shouldn't be a problem. (think 28-70 f2.8)

Lower noise at higher ISO's on the Panasonic, but shooting landscapes, who's using high ISO's.

Although is sounds as if the Panasonic has the better sensor, with better noise control, I don't think I
    can go for a camera with just a 2.5X zoom.

It really seems as though it would be a one (or maybe 2) trick pony.
    dave.

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    i recently purchased the G10 and sofar i'm liking what i get out of the camera. colours are neutral (can be adjusted to vivid among others) and the details are good. the camera is not the fastest but that is not the biggest problem (in landscapes) The camera inspires to be creative with the easily available settings. the RAW is not supported yet so can't say anything about that.. headscratch.gif

I think the zoom range is fine for everyday shooting and the WA is nice for landscapes. it also has a pano function (have not tried this out) which may come in handy for those of us short on time rolleyes1.gif

i'll post some shots after my trip to london tomorrow wings.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited November 8, 2008
    Well, I picked up the G10 today.

Although the Panasonic LX3 probably has the better image of the 2 cameras, I just couldn't get by the 60mm on the long end.

For when I'm walking around with my SLR with a long lens on it, I think that this will make a good second body.

I took a few shots today just as I took it out of the box.
    Little did I know that the file adjustment was set to fine, not superfine.

The light was horrible today. Typical Mn day in Nov.
    So most all of these shots are very slow shutter speeds.

As always when I get a new photographic toy, Kate and I took it to Como Park Zoo/Conservatory.
    You'll see some JPG artifacts that I don't think will be there when I shoot in "Superfine", or maybe even RAW.
    For the most part, except the wolf shot, these are full frame shots less some straightening.

412783775_24rLJ-XL.jpg

412783787_GPRWh-XL.jpg

I couldn't get it focus on the wolf through the 2 fences.
    412783816_s82oT-XL.jpg

412783761_QvrVp-XL.jpg

412783754_MaQ43-XL.jpg

412783730_T32HV-XL.jpg
    dave.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 8, 2008
    Wow, Dave. You could sell G10's with shots like that. You must be pleased.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited November 8, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Wow, Dave. You could sell G10's with shots like that. You must be pleased.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel.

For the type of day it was today, yes, the shots look pretty good.
    I'll know a lot more when I can get out on a clear day and really give it a good try.

The bad news is, that day may be next spring.:cry
    dave.