Stumbling in photo sizing!!!

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited October 28, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi there...
This is "sizing" for the screen, not "prints" and I don't know why I am just not finding the solution!!!
I have a banner on my website that is 701 x 411 pixels. I want to have rotating 3 photos then a banner and so on the opening page fo the site... (yes... I got the idea from SmugMug!!!). But I need to size the chosen photos with the banner size... and I just cannot figure it out... unless I take a ruler and apply it on the screen which is the Mickey Mouse way to do it! I am missing something, knowledge for sure!

Thanks for the help...

Be well... Ara & Spirit
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    Hi Ara,

Whatever tool you're using to resize (Gimp?) most likely has the option to set the resize units. Just select "Pixels", and you should be able to specify your exact dimensions. The only glitch is that 701 x 411 pixels is an oddball aspect ratio. Again, I'm not sure about Gimp, but Photoshop allows you to crop to a specific aspect ratio. A trick I use is to plug that size into the crop tool, and set the DPI to zero. Then the crop tool enforces that aspect ratio in its rubberband box, but doesn't care how many pixels are left in the crop. So crop to that aspect, then resize as previously mentioned.

Clear as mud? rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Hi Ara,

Whatever tool you're using to resize (Gimp?) most likely has the option to set the resize units. Just select "Pixels", and you should be able to specify your exact dimensions. The only glitch is that 701 x 411 pixels is an oddball aspect ratio. Again, I'm not sure about Gimp, but Photoshop allows you to crop to a specific aspect ratio. A trick I use is to plug that size into the crop tool, and set the DPI to zero. Then the crop tool enforces that aspect ratio in its rubberband box, but doesn't care how many pixels are left in the crop. So crop to that aspect, then resize as previously mentioned.

Clear as mud? rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Hi Joel... how are you? Moab? was it good?

Clear as mud is right!!! It is just not working out... My banner has different characteristics then the photos... and all I want to do is "on screen" size my photos the same as tbe banner... Besides taking a ruler and cropping!!! I just cannot figure it out and I know it must be simple...

Be well... Ara & Spirit
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Hi Joel... how are you? Moab? was it good?

Clear as mud is right!!! It is just not working out... My banner has different characteristics then the photos... and all I want to do is "on screen" size my photos the same as tbe banner... Besides taking a ruler and cropping!!! I just cannot figure it out and I know it must be simple...

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Moab was great!!! I posted some pictures in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109290

Are you saying you want Smugmug to automatically reformat pictures from your gallery for the banner? I guess I'm confused.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Moab was great!!! I posted some pictures in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109290

Are you saying you want Smugmug to automatically reformat pictures from your gallery for the banner? I guess I'm confused.

Cheers,
    -joel

No... this has nothing to do with SmugMug... lets say my Logo Banner is 6 x 4", physical dimension on the laptop screen... I want to crop some pictures to that same physical size... simple really... I just cannot figure it out... unless I took a ruler and taped it to the screen! Dah!
    Will check the photos... I am on DSL now, imagine that in the middle of nowhere.

Be well... Ara & Spirit
  • vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I am not quite sure of exactly your confusion or what you use for software....but, remember EVERYONE's browser is different...

So, I would create a blank canvas in photoshop the exact pixels as your template banner, and drag your photo over, center it, flatten and save for web as banner1. Then, undo your last steps and drag a new file over, flatten and save for web as benner2. ad nauseum.

As a -general- rule monitors "see" 72 dots per inch and print stuff is at 300 dpi per inch. The formula gets weird cuz really the monitor just sees pixels. So, for dimensional stuff work with pixel dimensions.
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Hi Beemerchef,

Have you figured out your banner problem yet? I am somewhat confused as to your layout but I agree with Vegasphotog. Everybody's monitor size, screen resolution and browser are different. Measuring the inches on your own monitor won't help you here.

If your banner is 411 pixels high and you want your photos to match that height, you have to make sure that they are 411 pixels high as well. If you intend to put the pics inside the banner by sandwiching the banner and photos in an image editing program, the pics should match the banner resolution. If you intend to display them next to each other, image resolution is irrelevant in terms of sizing, because 411 pixels will always take up 411 pixel on your monitor, regardless of whether these pixels stretch over 2 or 10 inches in terms of " real live print resolution". In general you should keep resolution for web graphics and photos low (72 to 96 dpi, which is the max of what most monitors can display) to shorten loading times.

In other words, forget inches, think pixels - it really is as simple as that :D.

Hope this helps,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com