- Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
- Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754)
- 3gb ddr400
- 200gb western digital 7200rpm sata
- 640gb seagate 7200.11 sata2
- visiontek x1600xt 256mb agp video card
- LG DVD-RW DL
- Windows XP Pro w/SP3 32bit

I mainly use Nikon's Capture NX2 software to work with the raw files from my D50. My current computer can work with the raw files fine, updating the images after making an edit takes a bit of time, as does zooming in and out on the photo. When I say it takes some time, I mean doing that stuff can take anywhere from 5-20 seconds. Which isn't a huge problem, more of annoyance. But what I don't like is the fact that when I go to save the file as either a raw or a jpg it will can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes. Now, that would be a slight annoyance too, except for the fact that my workflow in NX2 means I'm saving at least twice. I do this because I utilize the fact that you can save multiple versions of one image in a single NEF. I then save each version as a jpg. So, when you start looking at it like that, the time starts adding up.

Although, one redeeming quality of this computer is it can play crysis, on the lowest settings mind you and it will even run Vista Ultimate 64bit rather nicely.

Now, please keep in mind that I am a university student so the budget is definitely restricted.

I was wondering if upgrading to:

- Biostar TForce TA780G M2+ mATX motherboard
- Athlon 64 x2 6000+
- 4gb ddr2-800
- Vista Ultimate 64bit
and possibly
- Evga e-geforce 9800gt superclocked 512mb

I say the video card is a possibility because the motherboard has an onboard radeon HD 3200.

Do you think this would be a worthwhile upgrade? With the video card the upgrade will cost me $470 including taxes and shipping (in Canada) and without the video card it will cost me $320 including taxes and shipping.

Also, if you think I should upgrade, do you think I should do so with or without the video card and why? Or should I not upgrade now, deal with the performance and then save up for a long time and get an intel core 2 quad or even a 24" iMac?

What I would like to know is if you think this would be a worthwhile upgrade and whether or not I would notice a significant difference in performance and most specifically save time in Capture NX2? I already know the upgrade will definitely increase the gaming performance.

Thanks!
Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Personally, I would recommend going with an Intel Core2Duo or even a Quad chip. I think you can safely go with a cheaper card and put the $ to a better CPU... Whether you can use your existing card depends on whether the new board can support AGP.

As for the iMac...the $$ factor comes down to your need for a new monitor, or more precisely a high end, large monitor for photography. If you need one and are in the market for one, the iMac includes a very good one, and since they run in the $600-800 range, that will buy half of the iMac.
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Hi Kyle, I definitely second CMason's advice about going for a Core2 Duo. Even a low-end C2D will be at least a match for the X2 6000+, plus you'll have a better upgrade path.

Not that the X2 6000+ is a bad chip, but Intel has simply won this round.ne_nau.gif

You're going to have to ditch the video card, as AGP is just about dead. The good news is not only does the 9800 play Crysis well, but, it will also accelerate some functions in Photoshop CS4, should you ever acquire it.

Alernative video cards to look at would be the AMD/ATI radeon 4670/4830/4850.
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Thank you both for your replies.

In response to going with a Core 2 Duo/Quad. I was really eyeing up the Q6600 but unfortunately, going that route would add over $200 to the upgrade cost. I then looked at an E8400 and again it was very close to the Q6600. So that is why I started looking at the AMD solution. Also, just to put something in perspective, the Biostar motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 6000 processor would be coming as a bundle, and the bundle price is less than the purchase price of a Q6600. And since I am a starving University student I can't honestly justify that much spent on a computer for my hobby, no matter how badly I want a Q6600. Also, the GeForce 9800GT I am looking at is currently on sale for around $130, which I think is quite decent for a card of its caliber.

Does anyone else have any input? Or more from both of you?

Thanks again!
    Kyle D.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2008
    Kyle D wrote:
    Thank you both for your replies.

In response to going with a Core 2 Duo/Quad. I was really eyeing up the Q6600 but unfortunately, going that route would add over $200 to the upgrade cost. I then looked at an E8400 and again it was very close to the Q6600. So that is why I started looking at the AMD solution. Also, just to put something in perspective, the Biostar motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 6000 processor would be coming as a bundle, and the bundle price is less than the purchase price of a Q6600. And since I am a starving University student I can't honestly justify that much spent on a computer for my hobby, no matter how badly I want a Q6600. Also, the GeForce 9800GT I am looking at is currently on sale for around $130, which I think is quite decent for a card of its caliber.

Does anyone else have any input? Or more from both of you?

Thanks again!

Even a low-endish Core2 Duo like the E5200 will be at least a match for the AMD X2 6000+. According to one review site (X Bit labs), it beat the X2 6000+ in their Photoshop test by about 20%. There is just something about the Intel Core architecture that Photoshop likes. In the US, the E5200 costs a little less than the X2 6000+.

But if you're getting a great deal on the bundle, go for it. I'm running an X2 overclocked to 2.9 Ghz and it works just fine for me, but I don't use NX2.

If you really want to go budget, skip the video card and use Vista 32 bit.

As far as being a "starving University student", you should put out an advertisement: Will Take Your Picture for Food! :D

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2008
    Cato wrote:
    Even a low-endish Core2 Duo like the E5200 will be at least a match for the AMD X2 6000+. According to one review site (X Bit labs), it beat the X2 6000+ in their Photoshop test by about 20%. There is just something about the Intel Core architecture that Photoshop likes. In the US, the E5200 costs a little less than the X2 6000+.

But if you're getting a great deal on the bundle, go for it. I'm running an X2 overclocked to 2.9 Ghz and it works just fine for me, but I don't use NX2.

If you really want to go budget, skip the video card and use Vista 32 bit.

As far as being a "starving University student", you should put out an advertisement: Will Take Your Picture for Food! :D

Thanks for that information. With your advice, I talked to the store to see if they could put together a bundle on a motherboard and a core 2 duo processor for me and this is what they came up with:

- Biostar TP43D2-A7 ATX motherboard
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200

So by, getting that package with the above mentioned ram and video card with shipping and taxes would be around $510. So with that in mind, going with a slower clocked Core 2 Duo over the Athlon X2 would cost an extra $40 or so.

Now, will I really noticed a huge difference between a 3.1 ghz Athlon X2 and the 2.53 ghz Core 2 Duo?

Also, to make up the performance difference I could overclock the core 2 duo, that is if there is any performance difference. Does anyone know if the stock heat sink and fan are any decent for a very moderate overclock? I was planning on going with a aftermarket heat sink & fan like the Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme (I already have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro for that will work on both the Athlons) but the $40 price differences in the bundles makes it so I can't afford to buy the aftermarket heat sink and fan now.

Also, as for the operating system, the reason I'm going with Vista 64 Ultimate is because that's the one I was given for free. You can't argue with a free OS.
    Kyle D.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2008
    Kyle D wrote:
    Thanks for that information. With your advice, I talked to the store to see if they could put together a bundle on a motherboard and a core 2 duo processor for me and this is what they came up with:

- Biostar TP43D2-A7 ATX motherboard
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200

So by, getting that package with the above mentioned ram and video card with shipping and taxes would be around $510. So with that in mind, going with a slower clocked Core 2 Duo over the Athlon X2 would cost an extra $40 or so.

Now, will I really noticed a huge difference between a 3.1 ghz Athlon X2 and the 2.53 ghz Core 2 Duo?

Also, to make up the performance difference I could overclock the core 2 duo, that is if there is any performance difference. Does anyone know if the stock heat sink and fan are any decent for a very moderate overclock? I was planning on going with a aftermarket heat sink & fan like the Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme (I already have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro for that will work on both the Athlons) but the $40 price differences in the bundles makes it so I can't afford to buy the aftermarket heat sink and fan now.

Also, as for the operating system, the reason I'm going with Vista 64 Ultimate is because that's the one I was given for free. You can't argue with a free OS.

Good deal. I'm a fan of Biostar's T series motherboards - they're made for enthusiasts, feature better grade capacitors and have good overclocking options.

Depending on the application, Intel's Core2 CPUs generally perform anywhere from 10-40% faster clock for clock than the AMD X2. Very few applications rely solely on a CPU's clock speed (Ghz). Intel's more efficient Core2 architecture allows it to process more information per cycle than AMD. Also, the Core2 runs cooler and requires less electricity.

Personally, I'm not a big fan (pun not intended!) of the stock HSF. Intel's current generation of HSF mounting is asinine, and the killer is once you install the HSF and assemble the computer, if you ever want to change the HSF, you need to remove the motherboard from the case. Ugh. That said, even with the stock cooler, you should be able to overclock the E7200 to at least 3 Ghz, and maybe more. At that point, it will trump the X2 by a significant margin.

Here's a review of the E7200, which also includes a comparison with the X2 6000+ http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e7200.html

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    Finally Decided and Ordered!
    I just wanted to say thank you again for all the help and to give everyone an update. I finally ordered the parts for my new rig yesterday and decided to go with the following:

- Asus P5Q motherboard
    - Intel Pentium Dual E5200 (in actuality a strippo C2D wolfdale)
    - 4gb (2x2gb) G. Skill DDR2-1000
    - EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512mb with dual slot cooler
    - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb hard drive
    - Antec 300 case
    - Xigmatek S1283 heat sink and fan with thermalright bolt thru kit
    - Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal Paste

I'll also be using from my old rig:

- OCZ StealthXtreme 500w power supply
    - LG Dual Layer DVD-RW
    - 640gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive

All in all, when everything was finally ordered, with taxes and shipping it cost me $600 CAD. Not too shabby. Also, I think I'm going to run the system at stock settings for a while to see if its fast enough but I will be eventually overclocking (if not right away!). I'm so excited about the 12.5 multiplier on the E5200! It's just begging to be overclocked!

Now if only those stupid boxes would show up at my door!
    Kyle D.