Options

iphoto' 05 and RAW

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited June 13, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
excuse my stupidity, but can mac's iphoto 5 open from compact flash a RAW file from the canon 20D. If yes, how does this app differ say from what canon provides to open RAW files? What can you do with it in Iphoto: exposure? white balance?

interested
troy

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    excuse my stupidity, but can mac's iphoto 5 open from compact flash a RAW file from the canon 20D. If yes, how does this app differ say from what canon provides to open RAW files? What can you do with it in Iphoto: exposure? white balance?

iPhoto will import the RAW from the CF card and put it into its catalog. Now you can convert it to TIFF or JPG. You can adjust white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation. You can sharpen (with a slider, manipulating only one variable instead of three).

Canon's software will have more control, likely produce better color, and have batching capabilities that iPhoto doesn't.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    I just put iphoto 05 on my computer. I have not had a chance to really test it but I dropped an 350D XT and 1DmkII file in it, the XT did not work, but the 1DmkII did work in raw and the controls are actually pretty good for basic editing. I will test it out more when I get a chance. If someone can upload a 20D raw file I will test it out for you if someone cannot give you an answer.

If you are close to an Apple Store you should be able to walk in and test it out yourself.
  • Options
    MacHeadCaseMacHeadCase Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    The Digital Rebel XT has a new type of RAW file that even Photoshop CS with the RAW plugin 2.4 cannot read: you need the new RAW plugin 3.1 which supports the Rebel XT. The problem with that RAW plugin is that you need Photoshop CS 2 for compatibility. The included utility, Canon Digital Photo Professional works very well in the meantime. It is sluggish and a bit stoopid rolleyes1.gif but till I can afford the upgrade it does well. Besides I am amazed at the amount of control DPP gives you over a RAW file!

To answer your question, I think that iPhoto will be updated to include this new Raw File format, CR2 and that it's only a question of time.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    windoze wrote:

interested
    troy

Don't use iPhoto. It's fine for people who just want to get the photos out of their camera with little work, but it's really useless, IMO, for processing RAW or for an intermediate to advanced user.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Capture One supports the XT. The LE version is $100, and now includes unlimited batch support.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Apple maintains a list of cameras that iPhoto 5 supports. Supported RAW are marked in the list.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

(but to echo the others, if I have another RAW converter like Photoshop's, I won't touch iPhoto's)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    The Digital Rebel XT has a new type of RAW file that even Photoshop CS with the RAW plugin 2.4 cannot read

DNG.... DNG.... DNG.... DNG.... When will the camera manufacturers adopt?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    To expand on that, while Camera Raw 2.4/Photoshop CS can't read the XT raw files, Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw 3.1 do. If you aren't upgrading to CS2, the latest Adobe DNG converter will let you convert XT raws to DNG, which Photoshop CS can open, so it is still possible to get XT raw into CS for free.
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Bad news guys. iPhoto converts the RAW to JPEG then all edits are done on a JPEG file. right click and do edit in external editor and it's a JPEG. Sorry to disappoint.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    deckedadeckeda Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    Bad news guys. iPhoto converts the RAW to JPEG then all edits are done on a JPEG file. right click and do edit in external editor and it's a JPEG. Sorry to disappoint.

BTW you can also drag the image out of iPhoto and straight to Photoshop's icon in the Dock, or set up iPhoto to send the file to Photoshop with a double-click.