Colorado and Utah Trip - Arches National Park

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited October 27, 2008 in Landscapes
Howdy All,

Before I head off to bed, I wanted to share a few of my pictures from Arches that I have been working on processing. My eyes are about burned out from staring at the screen working on these guys. :D

There are quite a few more in trip gallery at http://www.langfordphotography.com/Colorado%20and%20Utah

401584660_iyCCY-X2.jpg
"Sunset at The Garden of Eden" - Canon 30D with 28-135 IS lens and Polarizer. Bracketted at -1/0/+1 and tone mapped in Photomatix, finalized in CS3.

401584577_dvTYw-X3.jpg
"Lost in the Hills" - Canon 30D with 28-135 IS lens and Polarizer. 8 shot pano stitched with PTGui. Each frame bracketted at -1/0/+1 and tone mapped in Photomatix, finalized in CS3.

401722741_uJA7v-X3.jpg
"Road to Nowhere" - Canon 10D with 20mm lens and Hoya R72 IR filter. 8 shot pano stitched using PTGui, finalized in CS3.

400870206_Np2gC-X3-1.jpg
"Balanced Rock" - Canon 30D with 28-135 IS lens and Polarizer. 8 shot pano stitched with PTGui. Each frame bracketted at -1/0/+1 and tone mapped in Photomatix, finalized in CS3.

401723114_ksQ6Q-X3.jpg
"Wall Street" - Canon 10D with 20mm lens and Hoya R72 IR filter. 10 shot pano stitched using PTGui, finalized in CS3.

401722997_hs9xb-X3.jpg
"Balanced Rock" - Canon 10D with 20mm lens and Hoya R72 IR filter. 8 shot pano stitched using PTGui, finalized in CS3.

401722847_zvLfa-X3.jpg
"Alien Landscape" - Canon 10D with 20mm lens and Hoya R72 IR filter. 6 shot pano stitched using PTGui, finalized in CS3.

401584779_6nJkL-X3.jpg
"Wide Angle" - Canon 30D with 28-135 IS lens and Polarizer. 10 shot pano stitched using PTGui. Bracketted at -1/0/+1 and tone mapped in Photomatix, finalized in CS3.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look! :thumb

James

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Nice shots. I think I like the b/w one the most.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Nice shots. I think I like the b/w one the most.

Thanks! Those are my favorites as well. :D

James
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    I am speechless. I hope to someday shoot shots like this myself! I really want to experiment with pano shots and more with HDR. My first attempts were decent.
  • SC DreaminSC Dreamin Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Nice series. Were you standing next to Grimace in photo #1?
    Kendal S.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Your photos are just exquisite James. I look at them and have to ask myself if I was really in the same places you were. Are any of your panos multi row or are they all single row of vertical images?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    bowdown.gif Bloody h*ll, those are fantastic.

(kicks self in rear again for not signing up for this!!!)
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    SC Dreamin wrote:

Yes, he was. Funny thing, yours looks 10X better than mine!! Beautiful series James!! It was great meeting you at Mesa and "The Garden".
    edited October 26, 2008
    I am speechless. I hope to someday shoot shots like this myself! I really want to experiment with pano shots and more with HDR. My first attempts were decent.

Thanks! Digital photography is all about experimentation. thumb.gif At least the film is cheap! rolleyes1.gif I appreciate your comments.

James
    edited October 26, 2008
    SC Dreamin wrote:

Hi Kendal,

Yes, I was! :D Where you there as well? (I'm having a hard time getting alias names associated with real people) headscratch.gif Thanks for checking out the pics!

James
    edited October 26, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Your photos are just exquisite James. I look at them and have to ask myself if I was really in the same places you were. Are any of your panos multi row or are they all single row of vertical images?

Hi Nick,

Thanks! I just wish I had been able to actually stick around and meet more of ya'll. I had a committment here back in Texas that took me home on that Thursday.

All of these panos are a single vertical row. I shot some multi row panos while in Rocky Mountain National Park, but not in Arches.

Take care,

James
    edited October 26, 2008
    kodenub wrote:
    they are amazing, love all of them but the black and white are prob my fav aswel

Thank you. I was pretty surprised at how the black and white infrared stuff came out. The sky there was just amazing for that type of photography. iloveyou.gif

James
    edited October 26, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    bowdown.gif Bloody h*ll, those are fantastic.

(kicks self in rear again for not signing up for this!!!)

Thanks Bryan! I wasn't able to actually participate in the shootout due to conflicts, but decided to shoot the general area before I had to be back in Texas on Thursday. You should definately get out there and check the area out. It was amazing! iloveyou.gif

James
    edited October 26, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Yes, he was. Funny thing, yours looks 10X better than mine!! Beautiful series James!! It was great meeting you at Mesa and "The Garden".

Thank you Adam! It was neat meeting you as well (and whomever else was with you whose names I can't remember). I sure wish I could have stuck around for the shootout, but I was glad to have at least had an opportunity to photograph in that area. :D

BTW, I checked out your gallery, and you have some amazing stuff there. I especially like the Antelope Canyon shots. Some day I will make it out that way, as I've always wanted to shoot there.

James
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Perfect subject matter for panoramas (I've done some HDR panoramas before too, man, it takes forever, I need a faster computer...). Excellent series altogether, the first is probably my favorite (gorgeous light), the third is also great, they're all very good though.
    edited October 27, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Perfect subject matter for panoramas (I've done some HDR panoramas before too, man, it takes forever, I need a faster computer...). Excellent series altogether, the first is probably my favorite (gorgeous light), the third is also great, they're all very good though.

Thanks man! Yeah, these took a long time to stitch, and I have a fairly fast pc (quad core 3 Ghz intel). It's the 16 bit TIF files that really kill it. When I merge them in Photomatix, each one can be like 250 Mb. Yikes. Takes forever. :)

James