Late Season Bumble with new DIY flash bracket

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited October 30, 2008 in Holy Macro
Found this rather larthargic bumble bee today. Pretty late in the season for them here now. Managed to get a couple of shots off before he left--I don't think was like the flash too much. Trying a new bracket (DIY) for the flash today also. Still the same diffuser, but this bracket attaches to the lense and holds the flash over the subject more, making it much more mobile than the old Stroboframe that held the flash off to the right side. I may try another diffuser tomorrow to see how it does.

2973208234_625f0de3b1_b.jpg

2972361675_cd1331e4a3_b.jpg

2972362529_3d3b1b3df7_b.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Found this rather larthargic bumble bee today. Pretty late in the season for them here now. Managed to get a couple of shots off before he left--I don't think was like the flash too much. Trying a new bracket (DIY) for the flash today also. Still the same diffuser, but this bracket attaches to the lense and holds the flash over the subject more, making it much more mobile than the old Stroboframe that held the flash off to the right side. I may try another diffuser tomorrow to see how it does.

Hi Gary, so your being creative making new toys are ya ... way to go clap.gif
    They look great..... gonna show us your new creation??? hmmm?
    are ya?? hu? please... could ya :D

Looking Good Gary, looking real good thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    All of these are really nice. No bees left in my area, will be a while before I see them again, except in these fine threads! Please keep 'em coming!
    thumb.gifclap
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Thanks Skippy and Ritewinger for the comments. Always appreciate them.

Skippy, I've always hated my flash bracket....too big and cumbersome. I've wanted to try mounting on the tripod mount, but can't see spending $150 for one. I was in Home Depot for some plumbing supplies and found a 3' coated hanger for some kind of tubing. I was able to adapt it to my 100mm lense fairly easily. Not the most beautiful of creations, but it sure is lighter and a lot more managable. Gets the flash up close to the critters too. Sorry I don't have another camera to take a shot of it for you.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 30, 2008
    very nice Gary, do like these shots.
    do you think the blacks are too black?
    phil