Poster Concept - Nat'l Champions

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 13, 2008 in Sports
You may know that I was asked to put a large poster together for my oldest sons team. They subsequently went on to win provincials and nationals, and the coach wants it all represented!

Here is my very first concept. Each of the players squares exists on its own, so moving and changing things up a bit should be easy.

I still need to add text, and will fill the empty spots with photos of the coaches/manager and trophy.

But, before I get way too far, what do you think of the concept in general?

(Huge file !!!!)

EDIT:
I am still tweaking, and have reduced opacity on the background layer even more, so the players stand out more.
I have gotten rid of the sky in the national anthem pano on the bottom, left the trees, scoreboard and flags...I like that much better.
Not happy with the location of the team photos, so think I will move players into even rows and see if I cannot find some more space for the team photos, and a way to make them stand out more. But I will do so with fresh eyes tomorrow, and hopefully some feedback!

402298671_LfDkd-L-0.jpg

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    version 2, still need to do better with team photos:

402733447_d55wD-L.jpg
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Ann,

I like version 2 better than version 1. Might I suggest a few things:

Center your third row and I don't know if your interested in adding the players name and numbers to their individual squares for a little more personalized aspect.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    hey there Ann,

I was just getting ready to post my comments and your edited version popped up - good timing :D

I do like the flow of the 2nd much better, but will you have enough "white space" to add in your other required elements (manager, trophy, text)?

I like the concept of the headshots/action shots, but feel that the players who's head shots are above the base of their square are floating. The versions where the headshot is anchored to the base of the individual square comes across much nicer. In the others, it looks like you arbitarily cut off their body.

I am trying to envision this at your final size of 24x36, but think the bigger you can make the action shot, the better. For example, the shot in the 3rd panel, 2nd row, you've cropped in tight on the player (but still have the ball). That one comes across very well. I also think that w/ how many thousands of pictures that you might be able to find some that are a bit more dynamic, rather than have the players on this great team just chasing the ball ne_nau.gif

Are you going to be including their name/# in the extra space around each player in their square?

If possible, I would work to eliminate the extraneous background (spectators, cars, etc)

I would try to make the two team pictures the same height (right now, the one on the right is smaller than the one on the left). You might be able to gain some extra space by cropping off some of the excess grass in the anthem shot.

hth,

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited October 26, 2008
    Ann,

I like version 2 better than version 1. Might I suggest a few things:

Center your third row and I don't know if your interested in adding the players name and numbers to their individual squares for a little more personalized aspect.

Thanks. I am thinking I will use the last spot, third row, for another 'square, with photos of coaches and manager.

The coach has it in mind to have the players send me their signature electronically and have that added to each individual pic. So I will add text with name and number and a layer with their sig to each square.

The space between the two team photos will have text about National Champions etc.

ann
    edited October 26, 2008
    I do like the flow of the 2nd much better, but will you have enough "white space" to add in your other required elements (manager, trophy, text)?

I think so - coaches/manager on row three, text and trophy between the two team pics is how I am seeing it right now.
    I like the concept of the headshots/action shots, but feel that the players who's head shots are above the base of their square are floating. The versions where the headshot is anchored to the base of the individual square comes across much nicer. In the others, it looks like you arbitarily cut off their body.

Yeah, I see that too. I will try to fix.

I
    am trying to envision this at your final size of 24x36, but think the bigger you can make the action shot, the better. For example, the shot in the 3rd panel, 2nd row, you've cropped in tight on the player (but still have the ball). That one comes across very well. I also think that w/ how many thousands of pictures that you might be able to find some that are a bit more dynamic, rather than have the players on this great team just chasing the ball ne_nau.gif

Well, definitely have more 'actiony' shots, but I searched out more 'portrait' like ones in an effort to have the player isolated. For some guys that are always in the middle of a gang of players, this was hard! I don't have many individual photos as nice as that one with Johnny and the ball - great lighting, right in front of me, all elements coming together really well. But, other sports shooters would criticize it for cutting off his feet! The 300 doesn't zoom, so it is what it is! :)
    Are you going to be including their name/# in the extra space around each player in their square?

Yep, and signature
    If possible, I would work to eliminate the extraneous background (spectators, cars, etc)
    I would try to make the two team pictures the same height (right now, the one on the right is smaller than the one on the left). You might be able to gain some extra space by cropping off some of the excess grass in the anthem shot.

Great, I'll give that a try. Thanks much.

What I thought I would get most comments on is color scheme. Any thoughts there?
    edited October 26, 2008
    Okay, on the topic of color scheme, the dh has been trying to get me to do some selective color. So I have tried it here:
    403050880_ziSse-L.jpg

This might help those photos that have busier backgrounds. But there are a couple with some great fall color background that I would hate to lose.

Overall, if I went this direction, I would make the background grey.

FWIW, the dh has also mentioned that he likes the green backgrounds on the original versions.

ann
    edited October 26, 2008
    Hi again mwink.gif

FWIW - I think the selective coloring works in this case. It really helps bring the player to the forefront. I'm sure you've seen some of mine like that and that was the most requested format by parents from my individual collages. It also helps, as you noticed, with minimizing the extraneous background. But when I use this technique, I don't have to worry about losing any great fall color - just don't happen in my neck of the woods rolleyes1.gif

The green that you chose in your original works - relatively neutral and better than white. I prefer the lighter background w/ a slightly darker square, like your second example. If you went w/ the selective coloring, would the whole poster bkgd be grey or just that for the players?

I see your point about isolating the players and thus not going for as much "action". If you used a photo w/ a player from the other team to show more action, I wonder how it would look w/ the opponent in B/W and only your player in color - to really focus on him? Also, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about cropping off Johnny's feet; I've seen plenty of very good shots that don't include the whole body but really tell a story and think it works in this case.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen

edited October 27, 2008
    Do you have any ideas for the background yet? I have always started witht he background first where it helps me with the rest of the photos positions and in your case the individual background color of the photos.
    Ryan Clemens
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    edited October 27, 2008
    Do you have any ideas for the background yet? I have always started witht he background first where it helps me with the rest of the photos positions and in your case the individual background color of the photos.

Not really, I am thinking with that many players a plain background is better. So I initially used the green of the turf in the photos.....

I have, however, redone all players with the selective color technique and they look quite nice. The advantage here is that now I can add text etc in color and not overwhelm.

The club strip is red, white and black so I will probably work on a background theme in that scheme.

Any suggestions?
  • trunxtrunx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2008
    Ann,

For the team shots, how did you blend the background or change the background to blend into the poster (e.g., the smaller team photos versus the two teams lined up with the trees and flags, etc. <- I really like that shot by the way).

Thanks.
    edited October 28, 2008
    trunx wrote:
    Ann,

For the team shots, how did you blend the background or change the background to blend into the poster (e.g., the smaller team photos versus the two teams lined up with the trees and flags, etc. <- I really like that shot by the way).

Thanks.

Hi trunx

I am not sure I understand your question but I will explain what I have done with the team photos.

1. For the team photos I started with the full sized photo, pasted it onto a transparent background and erased the stuff I didn't want. I then selected what was left and pasted it onto the background as a new layer.
    Another way to do this is to erase the part you don't want, without the transparent bkgrd layer. The background is then white (or black or whatever color you have chosen in your color selection box). You can then select by color. All the white gets selected. Inverse your selection, and you now have the team selected. Copy, paste onto the poster background. Cautionary note is that if any part of your team photo is actually true white, it gets left behind too.

2. For the 'national anthem' photo, (it is a 3 photo pano, btw), I placed the whole photo onto the poster background and then erased the parts I didn't want. For the edges, I used a fuzzy brush for the eraser, to give a 'ragged' edge look, on the version I am currently working on - not yet posted.

Simpler than the more precise erasing I did above. I could have easily done that with the team photos too. I am doing this with PSCS3 and my MAc for the first time, and it is working really well. Previously, if I had tried to work on such a large file on my PC, it would have crashed. Hence the multi step process I started with.

Once the extracted photos are layers on the background, you can change the blending options to give them shadows or other things that help them stand out a bit.

I am still not happy with the way the team photos look, but love the anthem shot.

Hope this helps.

ann
  • SoccerShooterSoccerShooter Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2008
    Have you tried framing the entire poster with the Indiv. pics around the outside? It would make your eyes follow the lines and look at everybody. Focal point would be on the team in the middle. What about sandwiching the team name/year , maybe accomplishments between the team photos? Two smaller team photos on top - name/year - large team photo on bottom (within frame). I love the photos and the colors. Can't wait to see your final...

Ann McRae wrote:
    You may know that I was asked to put a large poster together for my oldest sons team. They subsequently went on to win provincials and nationals, and the coach wants it all represented!

Here is my very first concept. Each of the players squares exists on its own, so moving and changing things up a bit should be easy.

I still need to add text, and will fill the empty spots with photos of the coaches/manager and trophy.

But, before I get way too far, what do you think of the concept in general?

(Huge file !!!!)

EDIT:
    I am still tweaking, and have reduced opacity on the background layer even more, so the players stand out more.
    I have gotten rid of the sky in the national anthem pano on the bottom, left the trees, scoreboard and flags...I like that much better.
    Not happy with the location of the team photos, so think I will move players into even rows and see if I cannot find some more space for the team photos, and a way to make them stand out more. But I will do so with fresh eyes tomorrow, and hopefully some feedback!

402298671_LfDkd-L-0.jpg
    edited October 28, 2008
    Ooooooh, I like that! I wonder if that would give me some more space to work with too? (Of course, the math says no - same sq inches of space being used).

And you like the green? Me too today- I have a feeling I will have several versions by the weekend.mwink.gif
    Have you tried framing the entire poster with the Indiv. pics around the outside? It would make your eyes follow the lines and look at everybody. Focal point would be on the team in the middle. What about sandwiching the team name/year , maybe accomplishments between the team photos? Two smaller team photos on top - name/year - large team photo on bottom (within frame). I love the photos and the colors. Can't wait to see your final...
    edited October 28, 2008
    Okay, on soccershooter's recommendation, I have arranged the players around the perimeter:
    404942805_bFzrU-L.jpg

and done the same but with selective colored photos:

405005498_wCruR-L.jpg

As I said, will be adding text, trophy, club logo, photo of coaches and manager.
    Still need to work out spacing of the player photos - I think I will have top and bottom rows touch like the side one do. Still have to figure out appropriate background color for selective color version.

Feedback and new ideas most welcome.

As a final exercise, I am going to try it all on a portrait orientation poster too.
    ann
    edited October 29, 2008
    Definitely like the gray version so far!clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    edited October 29, 2008
    I'm liking the selective color version too thumb.gif

I think your idea of doing the poster in portrait mode would work too. If you do that, what if you had your anthem pano anchoring the bottom, below the bottom row of players? It would make a nice bottom and then you also probably wouldn't have to worry about the extra space between squares in the vertical columns (like you have now on the horizontal rows).

But it looks like it's coming along nicely.

C.
    Colleen

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    The gray does look nice. But the multiple team photos seems odd to me. Are they a must? I would rather see one larger team photo. I think a larger team photo would also facilitate some floating text of the team's name, year, etc. If able to use a single, larger team photo in the center, maybe the pano could be used at the bottom of the poster.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited October 29, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    The gray does look nice. But the multiple team photos seems odd to me. Are they a must? I would rather see one larger team photo. I think a larger team photo would also facilitate some floating text of the team's name, year, etc. If able to use a single, larger team photo in the center, maybe the pano could be used at the bottom of the poster.

Yeah, I know, but unfortunately it is a must to have the two photos.
    Three players that played the season could not make the trip to Nationals, and an additional player (not part of the regular team) did. And there was a coaching change too. So the coach (customer) says both photos are required. ne_nau.gif

But I don't know if they need to be the same size.
  • bonnerkopfbonnerkopf Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2008
    some pretty cool stuff.

May i recommend that you clone out some of the stuff in the backgrounds ie errant players, etc? I was thinking the one where you did selective color would benefit greatly from this.

congrats. clearly a labour of love!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    I like the selective color one more. thumb.gif

Another idea. Can you use a horizontal layout?

10 players square down each side.

Team photo on top edge; team photo on bottom edge.

And the players butt shot in the middle.

ne_nau.gif

I don't know if this would work and i usually have to have some photos to play around with when I'm doing layout for something (usually, art related, and not photo based).
    edited November 2, 2008
    TaDa!
    Thanks to all the great feedback here, this is what I have come up with. Like to show the manager today so any quick tips still welcome:

408030841_2YzF2-XL.jpg
  • OnDeck29OnDeck29 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    I did this for my daughters national champion softball team
    go to www.ondeck.photoreflect.com

i made each player their own individulized 16 x 20 poster

click on the goodlettsville storm 10u gallery link and you'll see them for each player and coach