To vignette, or not

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited October 26, 2008 in Finishing School
If it has not happened naturally (through the lens, with the existing light), what are the "rules" for then adding a dark vignette improves a photo?

There are always case-by-case justifications, but I was wondering if there were any overall guidelines. Would it be overkill to add a vignette to all photos?

In my case, I shot a dinner event. It was in a medium-sized room with usual medium low-level dinner lighting. Because there's not much action going on in the corners, I thought that the vignettes help the eyes focus in on the people, rather than the bland backgrounds. But do I then add vignettes to the whole evening's worth of shots?

Help?

Comments

• AspireAspire Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Just my 2c :)

I am sure you are going to get responses for and against applying vignette, I think it can add a certain feel to an image if used right and not overdone. I think it can be overused if applied to every photo, but if select images are edited I think it works. That's just my opinion & am sure there are others out there that hate the effect lol.

I also play with lighting effects in elements and you can achieve a heavier or softer vignette look than when using the correct camera distortion option.

I would post up some examples of the images :)
    My Hip Impingement Blog - http://nicolashipblog.blogspot.com

My Smugmug - http://icandyphotography.co.nz

Canon EOS 450D
    18-55mm IS
    50mm f1.4 USM
    Speedlite 580EX II & Diffuser
    Hoya Pro 1 CPL Filter - ND8 Filter
    Lowepro Compu Trekker AW Camera + Notebook Bag
    Sony Vaio Laptop
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    :lurk
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 25, 2008
    This question has been considered by artists long before photography existed, and answered in the paintings they produced.

I would suggest you look at a number of paintings in museums as you consider this question. You will then have your answer. I know what my opinion, on that basis, is.

Think of a theatrical stage - where does the light shine? Where are the shadows? Why did the director decide to light the stage this way?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    This question has been considered by artists long before photography existed, and answered in the paintings they produced.

I would suggest you look at a number of paintings in museums as you consider this question. You will then have your answer. I know what my opinion, on that basis, is.

Think of a theatrical stage - where does the light shine? Where are the shadows? Why did the director decide to light the stage this way?

Paintings? Interesting...I shall have to go and check it out.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    The answer is in the eye of the artist and the beholder. There will be some general consensus about too much and there will be 'purists' that don't want any of it.

Do what you feel is right. Take chances and change things around later if you want to do that. It is your image that you are providing. Taking the picture is only part of it.

Cheers,
    David
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Vignetting can be used to guide the viewers attention and to create a
    more dramatic look. My advice is to just experiment and apply this
    technique whenever you think it benefits your picture. This shot form
    yesterday looked very dull without the added vignetting:

2971244087_927b8d4980_o.jpg
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston