Those Dreaded Stadium Lights

2»

Comments

• woodywoody Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    This is just a GREAT post.
    I too am struggling getting my head around the idea of slowing everything down to get a better image. I think the light went off for me when I read this line:
    " Much of what appears to be motion-blur on images shot with flash at close to ambient readings is probably some ghosting - due to the same image being exposed twice on the same frame. One image exposed at the speed of the flash and another image exposed at the shutter speed using ambient light (which is a slower duration) - leaving the two images "close" but not quite matching, giving the illusion of motion blur .... "

Thanks for the great advice
    Rich Woodfin
    NH Sports Photography
    nhsports.smugmug.com
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    forgot one thing - make sure you have 2nd curtain synch enabled so if/when you DO get ghosting it's trailing the movement not in front of it. In other words, in normal synch you get the flash burst at the beginning of the exposure, so the ghosted image will be later in the movement. 2nd curtain synch waits until the end of the exposure to fire the flash so the action trails (like normal motion blur does).