Options

Cycling team photo

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited May 12, 2005 in Sports
Try as I might, the only photo work I seem to get is cycling... not that its all bad, these are after all my good friends, and I'm in with the community. Anyway, it was team photo time:

21387329-L.jpg

I have a few more poses here. They came out OK, definitely good enough for the team's needs - a cover shot for their resume/sponsorship proposal. But I feel like they don't have pop, or are lacking something. Anyone have any suggestions? There's good color in the scene, nothing too distracting, light was good (a little too "in their eyes", but not bad).

I did post seperately about how I tried to use a remote slave flash for fill, but couldn't get the darn thing to fire anywhere but 2 feet from my master. At this point, I feel that might have helped, but not convinced.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    I think I'd prefer a lower angle. Shooting from up high makes them look "small."
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    damn I totally didnt look at that part of campus.....sorry I missed you I was napping and got to campus late. I should of called you before I napped.

Looking at your photos I wish I was there....I could of helped you from what I have learned from the mistakes I have made with team photos so far this season.

Damn...
    Sorry bro to let you down.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2005
    winger wrote:
    damn I totally didnt look at that part of campus.....sorry I missed you I was napping and got to campus late. I should of called you before I napped.

Looking at your photos I wish I was there....I could of helped you from what I have learned from the mistakes I have made with team photos so far this season.

Damn...
    Sorry bro to let you down.
    could you have made the flashes work? I'm gonna go with: I doubt it.

I don't have the luxury of good times like you have. Sun was setting fast and without my fill flash, I got pretty screwed. I should show you the results I got yesterday doing T and brother's portrait. It's amazing what fill flash does, it really would have saved this shot. I'm PS'ing the team now, but it's looking fake.

Yeah, way to take my lens and run. Jerk. umph.gif

don't return my emails, ignore my IM's, i think it may be over.

:hide
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 7, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    I think I'd prefer a lower angle. Shooting from up high makes them look "small."
    reshoot is impossible.

and small and pathetic is good - we're groveling for sponsorship money after all...
    Erik

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    Doc, I'm with the more angles theory. Most of them are shot from a
    ladder, right? I'd like to see more lower angle shots and possibly also
    at different angles to the sun (long shadows).

Flash might not have worked for you but I bet a big ole reflector might
    have worked well.

Lastly, it seems like there's too much space between team members. Maybe
    a bit tighter would have been good?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

have worked well.

Ian
    actually not a ladder, a convenient staircase. you're probably right, I was too focused on getting the "resume" shot (needed room for UM and sponsor logos above the riders. So I spread them out to fill the bottom of the frame, leaving a nice horizon and sky on top.

next year I'll improve. I don't get to take team photos every week like Miss Winger...
    Erik

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

have worked well.

Ian
    I like to shoot from both above and below......But what I have noticed is you have to be careful from people, I did that for lax and they were just not spaced apart enough on the stair case that they didnt lose their heads. But that womens hoops team I took from a ladder was pretty cool as they surrounded the logo on the floor.

I have only taken 6 team photos....there mr doctor it......so there :-P

I also when ever I shoot I always take the safe shot first the camera set up on a tripod, nothing fancy....two poses serious and smiling....then i work the angles and if i have time I move em around.

I think for baseball this saturday it will just be the normal straight on shot and maybe one on my knees and I dont know what else.............they are kind of being a pain.