D80 Upgrade

EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 27, 2008 in Cameras
So I'm planning on being abroad for a little over a year, and have started looking into upgrading my camera gear.

I have a D80 and a slew of DX lenses, and I don't have 3-4k to spend on a camera. I'm looking primarily for better low-light performance, though the D-lighting feature intrigues me.

Basically, I've come down to this:

D300 vs. D90

I've found very little information on the D90 except people saying the D300 is superior (with no exact basis why) or others saying they're functionally the same camera, and I may as well go for the D90.

Any opinions?

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    I would spend the money on the D90 and with the money saved, buy a new lens. The D90 is getting better reviews in regards to low light, high ISO performance than the D300.

Without knowing the lenses you have now, getting a 2.8 zoom or a 1.8 prime will do you better than a new camera.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 26, 2008
    While both the Nikon D300 and D90 have similar imagers and resolution, the D300 is more responsive overall, has a more advanced AF (potentially faster AF as well), faster shooting rate, ISO 100 capable and 1/8000th shutter.

For sports or weddings I would go with the D300, but for general photography the D90 is a great value.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    As always - Ziggy said it best!
  • LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    D90 vs D300... you can't hardly go wrong.
    I own both the D300 and the D90. Both are excellent cameras with similar capabilities and imaging qualities (though I am not surprised the D90 is winning some comparisons as it is a newer release and therefore the engineers have probably tweaked a few things). But the cameras definitely have different handling characteristics. The D300 feels beefier (I have large hands) and more solid. It's button layout and the quantity of controls without menus is superior. I think the balance with a long lens is superior with the D300. Since I am an old D200 guy the D300 feels like it's mine. The D90 feels a bit foreign to me.

I have played with video on the D90. Fun and interesting... but not a requirement for any camera I have.

So here is where I stand... my wife shoots the D90. It feels great to her. I shoot the D300. If I am traveling for business to a great destination and want the lightest/compact kit I take the D90 and the 18-200.

I hope this helps.
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    D300 Weather Sealed......D90 not
    Lets no forget that the D90 has NO weather sealing and the D300 DOES HAVE WEATHER SEALING.........that in itself make the few hundred more very worth while......to me at least.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website