Options

Which color Spyder do you recomend ?

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Spider3Elit / Spider3Pro / Spider2express

I use a Mac and I want to go a little further with the use of the Spyder.

I like the Spyder3Pro for "Serious Photographers" :D and for it's moderate qualities when I look at the comparation table.

Thank you for your advise.:bow:D
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    I step on spiders!rolleyes1.gif

Look at this one, Antonio.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    Thanks Ric. :D

It is a more expensive solution... :cry

I just had a look andread that this equipment is sold in Portugal, what means that I can have guaranties on it.thumb.gif

Is this what you use ? I think so. Also on a Mac ?ne_nau.gif

Great. It works on laptops !

bowdown.gifDthumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    Antonio, I have used a Spyder2 Pro with good results, but if I was to purchase again, the i1Display2 is what I would purchase today
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Antonio, I have used a Spyder2 Pro with good results, but if I was to purchase again, the i1Display2 is what I would purchase today
    Hello Jim:D
    Long time since we didn't talk over here ! Are you OK ? :D Hope so.

In the last minutes I had been looking for threads about this calibrating business and I came up to the - stupid ? ne_nau.gif- conclusion that I don't need one. headscratch.gif
    You are going to say: you don't need one ? Are you kidding ? eek7.gifhuh
    No I am not.
    Let me explain you: I never plot/print at home. We have a basic printer for text and nothing else.
    When I want to print I go to the shop and ask the girl to make the prints.
    If they turn to be too red, yellow, whatever she corrects the photos according to my taste, which she already knows.

But here rises another problem and this I really want:
    book printing. I want to print books not only for "home consumption" but to offer and present my work.
    And here, yes here, I need to have my monitor as best as possible, according to what I want in the book.
    Complicated business indeed. Too many parameters envolved.

I am now in the process of printing books for Cristhmas and not only but when I have photos enought. But I am very demanding on quality of the prints and of the books.

Do you guys think I am wrong ?ne_nau.gif

Thank you. Take care. bowdown.gifthumb:D:D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Hello Jim:D
    Long time since we didn't talk over here ! Are you OK ? :D Hope so.

In the last minutes I had been looking for threads about this calibrating business and I came up to the - stupid ? ne_nau.gif- conclusion that I don't need one. headscratch.gif
    You are going to say: you don't need one ? Are you kidding ? eek7.gifhuh
    No I am not.
    Please pardon me, but ... I think you are either kidding or haven't thought the process all the way through.
    Let me explain you: I never plot/print at home. We have a basic printer for text and nothing else.
    When I want to print I go to the shop and ask the girl to make the prints.
    If they turn to be too red, yellow, whatever she corrects the photos according to my taste, which she already knows.

But here rises another problem and this I really want:
    book printing. I want to print books not only for "home consumption" but to offer and present my work.
    And here, yes here, I need to have my monitor as best as possible, according to what I want in the book.
    Complicated business indeed. Too many parameters envolved.

I am now in the process of printing books for Cristhmas and not only but when I have photos enought. But I am very demanding on quality of the prints and of the books.

Do you guys think I am wrong ?ne_nau.gif

Thank you. Take care. bowdown.gifthumb:D:D
    Yes, I do believe you are wrong. If you are going to be printing books, unless you are getting all your printing done by the lady to whom you referred above, you will need to supply your printer with correctly color balanced images.

Imagine this scenario:
    • You are going to suppy your images to a printer.
    • The printer has and provides you with an ICC profile so you can soft-proof your images - helps to make sure that images are going to print as you intend
    • You look at the soft proofing images on your monitor. They look good to you.
    • But, your monitor is set at too cool a color balance and you don't know this.
    • Because the printer makes the assumption that you are providing him correctly balanced images he/she returns your book/prints and they are hugely warm - not what you had intended. For portfolio work, do you not want to control the image color through the entire process?
    Every step in the process from capture to print introduces errors. It would seem to me that introducing an opportunity for those errors to be larger than necessary is counter-productive. Softproofing is not fool proof, it's only an approximation of what the printer will deliver. But, it's sometimes the best we have. A meat butcher, given the choice, will use a sharp knife rather than an un-sharp knife.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    Scott., how could I have been so silly as not to have thought the way you have ... ne_nau.gif

It is so obvious ...
    Thank you. :Dthumb.gif

So, before printing:
    properly calibrate the monitor thumb.gif

I think I'll get that i1Display2 used and suggested by Ric and sugested by Pathfinder ! clap.gif
    bowdown.gifbow:D:D
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    Scott., how could I have been so silly as not to have thought the way you have ... ne_nau.gif

It is so obvious ...
    Thank you. :Dthumb.gif

So, before printing:
    properly calibrate the monitor thumb.gif

I think I'll get that i1Display2 used and suggested by Ric and sugested by Pathfinder ! clap.gif
    bowdown.gifbow:D:D
    I'm glad I was able to help.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    I'm glad I was able to help.

That's the way we are here, isn't it ?
    :D
  • Options
    Jay_ZJay_Z Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Questions on calibrating ...
    I have an HP w2207 monitor and ThinkPad T60p laptop - I would like to somehow calibrate to aid in adjustments/editing of the photos.

I primarily use Lightroom 2.0 or Photoshop Elements. Between the two displays, I have slightly different brightness, etc and the HP has a gloss screen which makes a difference.

Will something like the Spyder help to calibrate the color, brightness, etc? I want to make sure the adjustments I am making are the ones I intend to be making! Is there a better way to go (looking for a mid range product - less than a Huey calibration system, etc!).

Any suggestions/recommendations on this, let me know. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2008
    Jay_Z wrote:
    I have an HP w2207 monitor and ThinkPad T60p laptop - I would like to somehow calibrate to aid in adjustments/editing of the photos.
    I primarily use Lightroom 2.0 or Photoshop Elements. Between the two displays, I have slightly different brightness, etc and the HP has a gloss screen which makes a difference.
    Will something like the Spyder help to calibrate the color, brightness, etc? I want to make sure the adjustments I am making are the ones I intend to be making! Is there a better way to go (looking for a mid range product - less than a Huey calibration system, etc!).

i1Display2 no ?ne_nau.gif

I am almost buying it. I mailed different shops in Europe but the price is very similar... Always around 280-300 Euros with IVA / VAT.
    :cry

:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2008
    Jay_Z wrote:

I've used the Spyder2Pro for a couple of years now and have had, I think, very good success with it. It's worked on at least 4 different video cards matched up with at least 4 different monitors (one of them was an old CRT) and a couple of laptops (one with matt screen and one with an XBrite). The color temperature, saturation, brightness, etc seem very similar from one to the next. Prints done through my SmugMug account with their color adjustment turned off have looked very, very good.

I would be inclinded to believe that their more recent products would do as well but .... YMMV

HTM
  • Options
    Jay_ZJay_Z Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    I've used the Spyder2Pro for a couple of years now and have had, I think, very good success with it. It's worked on at least 4 different video cards matched up with at least 4 different monitors (one of them was an old CRT) and a couple of laptops (one with matt screen and one with an XBrite). The color temperature, saturation, brightness, etc seem very similar from one to the next. Prints done through my SmugMug account with their color adjustment turned off have looked very, very good.

I would be inclinded to believe that their more recent products would do as well but .... YMMV

HTM

Great, thanks for the info/feedback on this! Just wanted to make sure this was going to help me with this - I want to be making correct adjustment so when they print from SmugMug they are how I intended! Wasn't sure if this product would be a good option - reviews seem decent.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 29, 2008
    Scott, I have used the Spyder2Pro for several years as well, on my 24 in and 30 in Apple displays, as well as for 2 different laptops. The screens all look similar, with similar contrast and color saturations. Prints that I print myself on my Epson 3800, or via Smugmug, both match my on screen images very closely. So -= I have been quite satisfied with it.

I would think that the newer Spyder3 Pro will work equally well.

That said, the iOneD2 gets very high marks, isn't that expensive ( at least in the US Antonio - seems expensive in Euros, even with the change in exchange rates ) Andrew Rodney seems to favor the i1D2 as well.

The Color Munki seems interesting, because it will create printer profiles as well, that seem to be of good quality.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thank you Scott and Jim. :D

The i1Display2 is almost on the way from Porto, Portugal. clap.gif
    At the distance of a phone call I'll make in a couple of minutes...

:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I am looking at the i1Display 2 and the Protone Huey. The Huey is cheaper.. but what are the pros to that brand compared to the display2?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008

HTM

My experiences with the Spyder2pro are the same as Scott's. I've used it on both my laptop and my LCD flatscreen and have been impressed with my Smugmug prints.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2008
    You know guys, in this global world, competition is feracious.

I went to the site of the i1Display2 and took notice of the representatives in Europe.

I sent a mail to a couple of them: some 4 in Spain, some 5 in Germany, some 5 in Great Britain.
    Then I received proposals. Different ones.

After - mark my word: after - I have bought the item in Portugal, I received a proposal from Germany 30 Euros sheapper !

Too late. :cry
    The item is on the way.:D

And Moogle, feel free to ask whatever you have in mind.

:DI hope to lay my hands on it this evening when I come home clap.gif