Options

Miramar Airshow 2009 ???

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,748 Major grins
I know it's early, but does somebody know when the 2009 Miramar Airshow will be held?

I heard it's usually the first weekend of October. Is this correct?

A few friends would like to organise a trip to the US in October 2009, and we would want to include the airshow.

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Not sure when the 2009 event will be held but at the bottom of this page is an e-mail contact for the site, maybe they can give you the specifics.
    http://www.miramarairshow.com/faq.html
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    I was the first weekend in October this year... I can't remember last year though... However a quick glance at the metadata from a shot I took with my little point and shoot in '05 says that it was the weekend of the 15th that year.

Probably the best bet would be to keep an eye on their website and do your best to keep lose enough plans to be here when it happens!

Miramar is a grand total of 2 minutes from where I work and we hear the jets all the time when we're outside... they put on a great show, but even if you can't catch this one, there are a number of other bases where you might be able to catch the airshow, depending on your travel plans!

Maybe try checking out the Blue Angels web site, see if they've posted their 2009 exhibition schedule yet.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thanks for the info. We will keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    The Miramar Airshow is October 2, 3 and 4, 2009

Tickets have been booked last week. Four of us will be arriving Oct 1 in San Diego to attend the airshow on saturday.

Any ideas on how to take some good pictures (I'll be using the 1D MkIII with the 100-400L IS). As far as I can see, the public is looking south. So most of the day the sun will be in one's face. Not so good conditions to take pictures.

We'll be flying back to Belgium October 12. After the airshow we continue to Las Vegas - Flagstaff - Las Vegas - Los Angeles - San Diego

We will probably have a look at: USS Midway, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon Railways steamtrains, Beverly Hills, Universal studios, ...
    Any other interesting things to see along the way?

Can anyone recommend good motels? We had planned to use "Motel 6", but these get very bad reviews. The first 3 days are covered. We are staying in a Best Western Hotel till sunday. "Sleeping Inn" seems to get good reviews. Anyone familiar with these?
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    I'd recommend paying for the nice seats, when I did, we did that and you are pretty close and it isn't as crowded.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,418 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    The forum over at Air Show Buzz has a thread on the Miramar show, with some info on the performers and photography ideas:

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4940&hl=miramar
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    Thanks for the info.