Options

Please help me

swapchswapch Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited October 28, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi,

I took this image at around noon and as you can see the light is not very flattering in the image. Can anyone suggest some FG adjustment help, basically can anyone show how to mask the bottom level and do a quick curves?

2967675378_628d157147_o.jpg
Canon Rebel xTi | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Manfrotto/BOGEN 190 XDB w/486RC2 Ballhead | Hitech ND & Grad ND | Hoya CPL & UV Filters

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited October 27, 2008
    In PhotoShop, and these instructions should apply for several generations of PhotoShop,:

Create a duplicate layer
    Right-Mouse-Click on the new layer and choose "Blending Options" (or you can just dbl-mouse-click).
    Checkmark the "Gradient Overlay"
    Lft-mouse-click on "Gradient Overlay"
    Blend Mode "Darken", Opacity 35%, Scale 66% (adjust to suit)
    If you like the effect Flatten Image and save

the result:
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    New layer, fill with 50% gray. Overlay, paint in darkening. Sharpen, complete. 5 min work.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Forgot Photo!
    404016148_nGx2A-L.jpg
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    just another way, not to disagree with anyone.

(i love it when i ask for help and i get 10 solutions)

until i find out how to add the video to a post just goto my gallery and find it...:D

http://pictureworks.smugmug.com/gallery/5839153_jtfdD
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 27, 2008
    CTRL-J to duplicate the background layer

Q key to open Quick Mask

B Key to activate Brush - be sure it is in Normal Mode and with Black Ink at 100% opacity ( D or X key will bring up Black Ink ) - large and very soft brush - Make larger ] or smaller [ with the bracket keys, and softer with the bracket +shift keys

Paint the area desired to mask - it should turn pink if your masking is set up for 'selected' ( as mine is )

Hit Q key to leave Quick Mask and open Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves - adjust your curve and blending mode as desired. Fine tune with Opacity Slider

CTRL-E to collapse layers back to single layer - you're done!

Faster to do, than it takes to read this paragraph. I used to do a lot of selections ( tedious and boring ) Quick Mask is faster, easier, and frequently better. Thanks again to Mark Muench for teaching this skill repeatedly until I finally sat up and made it a tool of mine as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    just another way, not to disagree with anyone.

(i love it when i ask for help and i get 10 solutions)

until i find out how to add the video to a post just goto my gallery and find it...:D

http://pictureworks.smugmug.com/gallery/5839153_jtfdD

Aaron,

Thanks for taking the pain to make such a descriptive video.Can't thank you enough. Seriously.bowdown.gif

Regards.
    Canon Rebel xTi | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Manfrotto/BOGEN 190 XDB w/486RC2 Ballhead | Hitech ND & Grad ND | Hoya CPL & UV Filters
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    In PhotoShop, and these instructions should apply for several generations of PhotoShop,:

Create a duplicate layer
    Right-Mouse-Click on the new layer and choose "Blending Options" (or you can just dbl-mouse-click).
    Checkmark the "Gradient Overlay"
    Lft-mouse-click on "Gradient Overlay"
    Blend Mode "Darken", Opacity 35%, Scale 66% (adjust to suit)
    If you like the effect Flatten Image and save

the result:

Thank you. clap.gif

Regards.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    404016148_nGx2A-L.jpg

Wow..thumb.gif Thanks a lot.

Regards.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    CTRL-J to duplicate the background layer

Q key to open Quick Mask

B Key to activate Brush - be sure it is in Normal Mode and with Black Ink at 100% opacity ( D or X key will bring up Black Ink ) - large and very soft brush - Make larger ] or smaller [ with the bracket keys, and softer with the bracket +shift keys

Paint the area desired to mask - it should turn pink if your masking is set up for 'selected' ( as mine is )

Hit Q key to leave Quick Mask and open Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves - adjust your curve and blending mode as desired. Fine tune with Opacity Slider

CTRL-E to collapse layers back to single layer - you're done!

Faster to do, than it takes to read this paragraph. I used to do a lot of selections ( tedious and boring ) Quick Mask is faster, easier, and frequently better. Thanks again to Mark Muench for teaching this skill repeatedly until I finally sat up and made it a tool of mine as well.

Thanks a lot.

Regards.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    swapch wrote:
    Aaron,

Thanks for taking the pain to make such a descriptive video.Can't thank you enough. Seriously.bowdown.gif

Regards.

its easier than typingthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    Hi Aaron, I did the Key codes for your video!!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Typing was easier than videoing for me!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    one day i will change my dirty point and click ways!!!!

im glad i atleast use "[" & "]" for brush sizing....

maybe i will work on using the keyboard more....but dont stay up waiting...:D :D:D
    Aaron Nelson