Should I bring my flash?

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited October 28, 2008 in People
I will be taking family photos at this gazebo at 4:00pm Should I bring my 430EX flash, or do you think natural light would be enough. There will be 3 adults and 3 teenage boys.

99687471.jpg
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    I will be taking family photos at this gazebo at 4:00pm Should I bring my 430EX flash, or do you think natural light would be enough. There will be 3 adults and 3 teenage boys.
    Shannon,
    I would say only if you plan to use it off camera or get reflection from the gazebo ceiling.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Definitely bring your flash, keep it toned down so the subject does not look blasted.
    Try manually setting your background exposure and then flashing your subject.
    Good luck.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I think you will be very disappointed if you don't bring your flash.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    Since you're not packing 10 miles into a location ...

What's the worst that can happen if you bring your flash, aside from dropping it and breaking it? You don't use it. That's not foolish - that's being prepared.

What's the worst that can happen if you don't bring your flash? You get crummy, boring images. Hmmm that probably qualifies as foolish.

If there's any chance that using the flash will improve your photos - well, of course bring it. And, like Nikolai has said - if you can get it off camera so much the better. Bouce would be cool. Direct fill - just be a little mindful of the power of your flash - there is such a thing as too much of a good thing:D
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I would test before you go.

I hate shooting in/around gazebos, personally.

If you don't get the flash off camera, it will be quite tricky to light that many subjects without overexposing the white painted beams.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • CoryJenksCoryJenks Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Yes, always take it.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

If you don't get the flash off camera, it will be quite tricky to light that many subjects without overexposing the white painted beams.
    Didn't even think about that, but she's absolutely right - of course!bowdown.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

+1 on each item! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I would definately bring your flash especially at 4pm in NJ. The lighting can be tricky this time of year in the northeast! Good luck!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    It could definitely save the day if things cloud over at a bad time. Besides, a little low power fill flash never hurt anyone! :)
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Now how to get off camera equip before that? Hmmm.......wireless, wired what'ya suggest? I would look for cost effective at this point, it's a real cheap favor for a friend. I rarely have need for off camera, so don't have the equip.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    Now how to get off camera equip before that? Hmmm.......wireless, wired what'ya suggest? I would look for cost effective at this point, it's a real cheap favor for a friend. I rarely have need for off camera, so don't have the equip.

At the distance you'll need to get 6 people in the shot, wired is probably not practical, although much cheaper. An ST-E2 transmitter or a pair of pocket wizards is >$300.

My advice would be to steer them away from standing in or around the gazebo. The shaded area you were standing in to take that picture of the gazebo is going to produce much better results. Get some 1/2 CTB gel to match your flash to the shade, and shoot them with the gazebo in the (out of focus, preferably) background. Holler if you need some more help or specifics!

Shade is your friend! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers