Another Morning

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited October 30, 2008 in Landscapes
The Mojave cracks me up. Sometimes it's like you can't drive more than a mile or two without experiencing some beautiful scenery.

600-5x7-1620r.jpg

429-5x7-1664j.jpg

790-5x7-1649j.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Perfect light! Wonderful captures of a mysterious place. The time of day you caught here accentuates the subtle nuances in the earth very nicely. thumb.gif
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Love it! zzyyx shooting is so much fun thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Perfect light! Wonderful captures of a mysterious place. The time of day you caught here accentuates the subtle nuances in the earth very nicely. thumb.gif

Thank you. I hadn't been out there in 12 years or so, and didn't even remember which skinny little dirt road would even take me into the dry lake let alone find the patch I was looking for. No moon and pitch black. Just drove right up to it like a parking space that had my name on it. Lucky I guess.

I need to go back out again though. The first time was to shoot the rocks at sunset. In the summer, the shadows from the rocks grow several feet long and the basalt turns Martian red.

Also, funny thing, the first time I went out there I was off along the shoreline and a guy came up behind me with a shotgun aimed at me and asked what I was doing. Ended up jawing with the guy for about a half hour. He told me where to go look for bowling balls that some guy used to get drunk and shoot out of a homemade cannon off the side of a mountain to watch them roll on the lakebed. Offered to take me out and show me a turquoise mine too. I thought that'd be a touch risky, but last year a friend of mine that lives somewhat nearby showed me where he was talking about. Heheh, I love it out here.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 28, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    Love it! zzyyx shooting is so much fun thumb.gif

Thanks! Not quite there, but close enough. The more I see, the more I like it. Would love to plant a footstep in each and every one of it's 51,000 square miles.
    Anybody can do it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    Very nice, Walter. I really need to start spending time in the Mojave. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Awesome shots! Not sure if you live in SoCal or NV but if it's the former and you don't mind a noob tagging along with you next time you go out to Mojave, I'd love to join you.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited October 28, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Very nice, Walter. I really need to start spending time in the Mojave. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel. I've been having a great first month of my season. Since the last week of September to now I've spent 10 days out in 4 trips. I have a 3 day archaeology class this weekend with two nights of camping and plan to spend at least one more night and the following day reshooting a couple more sites near by where the class will be ending.

Kingman is gorgeous, on the other end of the Mojave from what I've seen and understand. You're much closer to Mohave Indian country, Colorado River, Lake Mead (south shore area is somewhere where I'd really like to explore more of). Lots of good history too. Cerbat Mtns, Chloride, Wickenberg,... I'd love to see more of your part.

PS- check out the following message.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 28, 2008
    Awesome shots! Not sure if you live in SoCal or NV but if it's the former and you don't mind a noob tagging along with you next time you go out to Mojave, I'd love to join you.

Alex

Thank you Alex. A lot of times it's where I end up is where I go. I try to have a plan, but I try to make the most of camping and flexibilty.

December 5-7 I've arranged a meetup/workshop out at the Desert Studies Center. It's the humane way to do the desert. Meals and lodging in a remote setting. Relatively inexpensive too. Just check out the link in my signature and give me a call if you're interested. I've been cooking up some unique potential field trips. It has been the best I can come up with for helping noobs enjoy some of this out here. Things can get quite out of hand quite fast if you're not prepared.
    Anybody can do it.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008

Alex

make sure to take good notes, i want some of those secret locations wfeller likes to keep secret!! :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Thank you Alex. A lot of times it's where I end up is where I go. I try to have a plan, but I try to make the most of camping and flexibilty.

December 5-7 I've arranged a meetup/workshop out at the Desert Studies Center. It's the humane way to do the desert. Meals and lodging in a remote setting. Relatively inexpensive too. Just check out the link in my signature and give me a call if you're interested. I've been cooking up some unique potential field trips. It has been the best I can come up with for helping noobs enjoy some of this out here. Things can get quite out of hand quite fast if you're not prepared.

Thanks. I will check out that link.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thanks. I will check out that link.

I'm putting together a couple more of these at some pretty cool locations for in the coming months. In my experiences, it's a good way to explore without incurring many of the inconveniences. If you or anyone has any feedback regarding these type of meetups, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    Anybody can do it.