Refurbished by Canon U.S.A.

cjphotojapancjphotojapan Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited October 30, 2008 in Cameras
What does Refurbished by Canon U.S.A.? :dunno Are you better off getting the new one or is the refurbished one just as good?

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    The benefit of buying refurbished cameras is they are more affordable and they have been evaluated by people who know how the camera should work, and everything should function properly at the time of the purchase. They also tend to have some sort of warranty - though that is generally much shorter than the warranty that comes with a new camera. So, if you want to buy used, it is the safest way to do it. However, if you want a new camera and money isn't an issue, new always sounds good.
    I have purchased a refurbished point and shoot camera and a refurbished photo printer and have never had any problems with either. So, I would buy a refurb if the price was right.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Depends on 2 main things for me.

1- what kind of warrany....full 1 year or a downgraded warranty.

2- what is the price difference and who is the retailer....there are some I wouldn't buy from if they were trying to give it away for free.......

so if #1 is the standard full 1 yr and the price is quite a bit lower from a respected retailer....I would go for it......I have purchased refurb in many things and not been hurt one bit.......I know people that even saving 95% on something wouldn't buy refurbheadscratch.gif......

"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 27, 2008
    I used to be a big fan of refurbs. However, I got burned on my last one. It was a Panasonic cordless impact/drill from Amazon, and the batteries never held a full charge. Pretty obvious I ended up with used batteries, which really pissed me off.

For a camera, it would have to be a super deal and a full-term warranty (neither of which is likely).
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    This is from a friend who has a friend who works in a Canan repair facility - so, at best, that makes it hearsay evidence. Take it FWIW...

Refurb units:
    • When being rebuilt, Canon reserves the right to use parts recovered from other, used, units. So, you don't know if the "new" parts are new or have been used.
    • Doesn't mean that the unit has been rebuilt. It also means that the unit was in dealer stock and got returned to Canon. It may or may not have ever been opened at the dealer's place of business.
    • Are inspected before being released.
    All that having been said, I bought a Canon refurb EF 24-105 f/4L from B&H and have had NOOOOO problems with it in almost a year of service. I completely love that lens.
  • cjphotojapancjphotojapan Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thank you for your information. I am looking at upgrading from my xti and was looking at a 40d from adorama. I still don't know what I am going to do.ne_nau.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    The benefit of buying refurbished cameras is they are more affordable and they have been evaluated by people who know how the camera should work, and everything should function properly at the time of the purchase. They also tend to have some sort of warranty - though that is generally much shorter than the warranty that comes with a new camera. So, if you want to buy used, it is the safest way to do it. However, if you want a new camera and money isn't an issue, new always sounds good.
    I have purchased a refurbished point and shoot camera and a refurbished photo printer and have never had any problems with either. So, I would buy a refurb if the price was right.

ditto, btw, my refurbed dslr by Canon looked just like new. This was the experience of another member who bought a refurbed Canon body as well.