Senior Shoot

crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited October 29, 2008 in People
Had a great opportunity to shoot a fantastic senior. This young man had it all. The ideas, the looks and the poses. All I had to do was press the shutter. He is well known in his school for always dressing "funky" during school spirit days and he wanted at least a couple with his "funky uniform" on. That explains the last few were he is dressed uniquely.

Tear 'em up. I don't grow if you say they're good.

404231289_dia7x-XL.jpg

404232631_vtLqb-XL.jpg

404233703_vL45B-XL.jpg

404230804_55jBU-XL.jpg

404230219_RHkSt-XL.jpg

404229655_EYfwz-XL.jpg

404231650_X8pBw-XL.jpg

404232285_bpaob-XL.jpg

404234251_kpghe-XL.jpg

404233249_GSeTT-XL.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Not able to view them - red X blocks
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    Not able to view them - red X blocks

15524779-Ti.gifHow To Post on Dgrin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    The photos are there. I think, maybe, you just need to turn on external links?
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thanks Scott! That was probably it. Of course they were in my cache, so I couldn't tell they were not displaying.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Here's my take (you asked for it so I didn't pull any punches) ...
    1. From a compositional point of view this one isn't working for me. I keep wanting to tell him to take a step backwards. However, art has to sell and I think this will sell quite well with the parents. The exposure is spot-on (or at least it appears so on this monitor), he looks good, nice expression, relaxed, good pose. Well done!
    2. This, for me, is the wall-hanger of the set. Love the expression, the masculinity of the image. It's strong!
    3. Fun, but will probably not endure the test of time.
    4. Nice, but I can think of other poses that would work better. I'm not too excited about the way his legs are posed - I sit like that all the time, but I'm not liking it for a portrait.
    5. Nice, simple, powerful pose, nice post processing. Sharp - technically competent. There'll be a lot of fans of this one in his family!
    6. Not liking this one - facial expression is not working. And, there's something about the pose that's not right - maybe his left arm?
    7. This will make a good 8x10 for dad's desk. The light is killer!
    8. Nice idea, but he doesn't look comfortable to me. I think it's because of the angle of the bench back?
    9. See comments on #3
    10. Tree in the background not in a good position. Aside from that, this works well. Nice and sharp, action was well stopped. Can't do much better than that!
    Very nice set - thanks for sharing.
    edited October 28, 2008
    Scott,

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to share.

David
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I think these look great, great comp, color and sharpness. Do you mind sharing some of your settings like ISO, aperature, etc...
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Fun set. I agree with Scott that #2 is the wall-hanger. But, it's apparent that this guy has a lot of personality, and that makes our job so much easier, doesn't it?

Very well done.

:D
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
    edited October 28, 2008
    du8die,

Thank you for the kind words.

picturegirl,

Basic set-up:

Solid gray sky the entire time. ISO 200 all shots. EC usually -2/3 to -1. Almost all shots, shoot thru white umbrella. ETTL (Master flash and slave flash), master flash set to not fire. FEC adjusted as need, mostly 0 to - 1 1/2 during the whole session.

Lenses:

70-200mm f2.8 L, I think a few were done at f2.8, the rest at f4.0. Usually in the 150-200mm range. Almost all the shots with this lens.

85mm f1.8 L. Usually I try to stay between f2.0 and f4.0.

Shot on a tripod all day because of low light, except the jumping shots. For those I just flashed the heck out of him to freeze motion.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Great set as whole. Nice job on sharpness, exposure, etc. His family should love these as he looks like a model - he photographs very well. I bet he was a joy to shoot. Looks like he was very comfortable and having a great time. My favorites are #2, #5, #7 and #9.
    LadyTX
    edited October 29, 2008
    ladytx,

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to reply.

David