Unlight

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
429-5x7-ltgs.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Pretty cool Walter. thumb.gif I really like this shot. Its darn right eerie.
    Just in time for Halloween too.

I'm still trying to figure out how you got lighting like this. & that
    face in the rock... Jeeeze. :wow
    Michael
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    wfeller wrote:

Hey I like that .... kinds spooking looking clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Very well done. Unusual and eye catching.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Pretty cool Walter. thumb.gif I really like this shot. Its darn right eerie.
    Just in time for Halloween too.

I'm still trying to figure out how you got lighting like this. & that
    face in the rock... Jeeeze. :wow

Cool- Thank you. The lighting is courtesy a few holes in the top of the cave that let the sun in directly. The direction of the light changes as the day goes on, but the general angle (I'll have to look up the proper term) is dependant on the season, with the light beam being nearly vertical in the summer. The cave is exceptionally dry, and the thick dust on the floor is fine and powdery. Care must be taken to more slowly to keep the air clear. So, to make the light beam show up, I just fired up a smoke and blew a puff into the beam. The face in the rock is a continuing fascination of mine with anthropomorphics. I have quite a bit of fun finding them--When I get the feeling that someone is watching me, I usually look around and find one ;)
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 29, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey I like that .... kinds spooking looking clap.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 29, 2008
    Very well done. Unusual and eye catching.

Tom

Thank you Tom.
    Anybody can do it.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    thumb.gif cool shot!
    Aaron Nelson
  • BkodgerBkodger Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Definitely scary looking and great shot.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
    www.PhotoExpectations.com
    edited October 31, 2008
    Thanks Aaron, Fad2blk!
    Anybody can do it.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    I have no idea what's going on or how you pulled it off, but I like it. thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 31, 2008
    Very cool, Walter. thumb.gif

-joel
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Utterly creepy and fascinating! clap.gif
    edited October 31, 2008
    Thank you IWTK, KDog & Llywellyn! My wife says it's the scariest face I've ever found out there. That kind of cracks me up--to go out in the desert and find faces laying around, scary or not.
    Anybody can do it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Cool- Thank you. The lighting is courtesy a few holes in the top of the cave that let the sun in directly. The direction of the light changes as the day goes on, but the general angle (I'll have to look up the proper term) is dependant on the season, with the light beam being nearly vertical in the summer. The cave is exceptionally dry, and the thick dust on the floor is fine and powdery. Care must be taken to more slowly to keep the air clear. So, to make the light beam show up, I just fired up a smoke and blew a puff into the beam. The face in the rock is a continuing fascination of mine with anthropomorphics. I have quite a bit of fun finding them--When I get the feeling that someone is watching me, I usually look around and find one ;)

Very nice to know this about the place. Also, that the shot is pretty much
    as imaged for what was there + a bit of smoke to highlight the sunlight coming in.
    The cave interior looks fairly pristine. Narry a footprint to be
    seen (I really don't see any that are obvious) in the dust around the scattered rocks.
    This location must be a fairly well kept secret way out
    in the hills you are so fond of.

Anthropomorphic... Had to look that up. :D Interesting.

I haven't had the feeling of being watched while out in the woods for quite sometime.
    Thankfully I would add. Should it happed again and I have a camera I might take the
    time and look around before I bug out quick like.

The sun angle term thing I think your looking for... Azimuth / elevation.
    Also, this link is interesting to further fit things together. Dependent on
    the season as you say et... :D
    Michael
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Wow! Awesome find and capture Walter!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited November 4, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Very nice to know this about the place. Also, that the shot is pretty much
    as imaged for what was there + a bit of smoke to highlight the sunlight coming in.
    The cave interior looks fairly pristine. Narry a footprint to be
    seen (I really don't see any that are obvious) in the dust around the scattered rocks.
    This location must be a fairly well kept secret way out
    in the hills you are so fond of.

Anthropomorphic... Had to look that up. :D Interesting.

I haven't had the feeling of being watched while out in the woods for quite sometime.
    Thankfully I would add. Should it happed again and I have a camera I might take the
    time and look around before I bug out quick like.

The sun angle term thing I think your looking for... Azimuth / elevation.
    Also, this link is interesting to further fit things together. Dependent on
    the season as you say et... :D

Thanks & thanks for the links. I just got back last night from 3 days out and my eyes are too dry to do any serious reading- but that's the stuff. I'll have to get some local coordinates and try out the applet.

I don't see too many faces (anthros) in the forests up in the mountains around here. Rocks aren't too much of a stretch though. I've gone back to some places where I've seen them, and also according to time of day, season and all that, they may be gone. The first time I saw one that I shot was about 12 years ago. I was checking out a petroglyph site and climbing around looking. I pulled myself up to find myself looking square into a face in he rock several feet in front of me staring back. A little shocking, but I snapped the picture and moved on. I don't remember any of the shots I took of the 'glyphs' that day- but the one shot for the face has remained as inspiration.

The location is falling off the maps. It used to be publicized, but as time goes on and people try crazier and crazier stuff, information about the riskier locations dissappear. I'm certain someday someone will end up getting themselves killed there. Then it won't be accessible, period. The Keane Wonder mine and mill in Death Valley is a classic example of how people with no sense have screwed it up for others. The area is closed, even to foot traffic. About a year ago I was out there and saw some folks being jerks at the mill. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good. I went back out in January and hiked out to the spring (photos unpublished as of yet). A month or so ago, they closed it all up. I'll probably never get photos of Cyty City now. Even if I hike the additional 3 miles, it's illegal.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited November 4, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    Wow! Awesome find and capture Walter!

Thank you. I think you'll like it.
    Anybody can do it.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    You are probably still in the desert somewhere, but thanks for taking me here.

It is interesting that I have found yet more faces in some of my other images. I might post a few here later. That is quite an interesting "cave".
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • snavysnavy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    how demonic! very cool!
    Planning is good, but life is better.
    Embrace the dtours.
    www.dtourphotography.com
    edited December 9, 2008
    snavy wrote:
    how demonic! very cool!

Thank you.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited December 9, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    You are probably still in the desert somewhere, but thanks for taking me here.

It is interesting that I have found yet more faces in some of my other images. I might post a few here later. That is quite an interesting "cave".

You're totally welcome, and it was my pleasure.

I came back last night- things started going strangely beginning with dropping a lighter in the fire accidently. So I decided to cut the trip a day short. Those things make a cool explosion!

I've looked over just a couple of my old shots, but there's been some real damage done there by vandals. I hope the shafts of light aren't ruined when the sun gets higher.
    Anybody can do it.
  • JeffCanonJeffCanon Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    nice shot, diffrent or same location
    edited December 16, 2008
    It's been messed up. I suppose the location will still be nice to shoot, but it's the idea that it's not what it was. It'll never-ever-ever be the same, or grow back or heal. errg. Now there's a bit of a dilemma as to whether to report it to the NPS or not. They may just fence it and close it. There's nothing that can be done.

Here's another ~thing~ that although man-made, was nice but someone had to screw up.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=114346

The sign in the photo was stolen sometime in the last two months. It's no big deal I suppose, but for some reason it kind of hurts to see places damaged and carried off.

One thing I didn't get a shot of, that adds to my desparation of getting to things/places to shoot is a fossil footprint from a mammoth. It was near perfect, so someone went and dug it out of the rock and carried it off. It's probably being used as a coffee table conversation piece somewhere right now.
    Anybody can do it.