False Kiva - Redo (IR)

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited October 29, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hey guys, I'm trying to teach myself editing and did a redo of the False Kiva shot I posted in Landscapes.

Here are the before and after shots, lemme know what you think :D
..... Skippy :D

Before

399812107_fEQiy-L.jpg

AFTER

404395541_Xo2vN-L.jpg

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    To my eyes the after seems like a step backwards with a loss of detail and dynamic range in some protions of the image.

I'm no expert ay PP, though, and I don't shoot IR. headscratch.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    To my eyes the after seems like a step backwards with a loss of detail and dynamic range in some protions of the image.

I'm no expert ay PP, though, and I don't shoot IR. headscratch.gif

Don

Hmmmmmmm I should have said I was trying for more dramatic look.
    Darker more emphesis on the view outside the Kiva rather than inside it.

Thanks for the input :D .... Skippy :D

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited October 28, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hmmmmmmm I should have said I was trying for more dramatic look.
    Darker more emphesis on the view outside the Kiva rather than inside it.

Thanks for the input :D .... Skippy :D
    Ah, but that is where I am also seeing some of the loss in detail, like on the hoodoo, far right of the arcing ridge.

The exterior view is still rather flat to my eyes!ne_nau.gif

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Howdy Skippy,

Ahhhhhhhhhh, the IR Blues I have found that so many of my shots just don't have that "Vivid" set of details sometimes, and unfortunately it's the shots I want the most that it seems to do that on.

Really a neat image, and with time you'll start to see what works for your particular camera and conversion set up.

Was this the out of the camera conversion or a rework of a post processed image?

So many times I am able to go back to the original and try it again with different processing an get so much better results.

It's still a beautiful image, with stunning views of one of my favorite places.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Skippy,

I hope you don't mind but I saw potential with this one and wanted to see what I could do with it first before I shot myself in the foot with any advice. :D . My apologies if I over stepped my bounds, certainly not my intention. I just aren't good articulator most times and wanted to make sure I could walk through it and explain it.

And I'll have to give credit to advice Mark gave on the shootout that I've corrupted for my own use. I don't think I remembered it correctly (sleep deprivation may have had something to do with it) but it's been working for me on some of my tricky exposure IR shots.

Basically I selected the area around the Kiva (lower 3rd or so) with the quick selection wand and then selected the inverse (Select, Inverse) and adjusted the curves. The sky still seemed flat so I selected the sky area with the quick selection wand and again adjusted the curves for it. I then switched it from RGB to Grayscale. It looks a little hinky up in the upper right but you might have better luck with the original.

Skips False Kiva.jpg
    edited October 28, 2008
    Go for it Skippy!thumb.gif

Don
    edited October 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like post processing IR Shots all boils down to personal taste some people are into really making the dark areas stand out, some are into more finer detail, so like things similar to how they saw it with their eye, and others are right into manipulating the image as much as they can, other like false colour, and the list goes on.

.... I guess you just have to choose a style that's pleasing to oneself??
    Skippy :D

• kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Skippy, I haven't processed many black and white or IR type photos, but this one intrigued me to take a shot at it. I also hope I am not overstepping my bounds here, but couldn't resist. I used mainly shadow highlight to get local contrast and some room to do some curves. I flattened the curve in the sky range to give myselft some room to give contrast to the rocks. Using mainly Dan Margulis techniques. Don't know if it is better or not!
    edited October 29, 2008
    kwcrow wrote:
    Skippy, I haven't processed many black and white or IR type photos, but this one intrigued me to take a shot at it. I also hope I am not overstepping my bounds here, but couldn't resist. I used mainly shadow highlight to get local contrast and some room to do some curves. I flattened the curve in the sky range to give myselft some room to give contrast to the rocks. Using mainly Dan Margulis techniques. Don't know if it is better or not!

It continues to comfirm my thoughts on everyone sees it differently.
    I like your version of the shot too, thanks for showing me what you too could do with the shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D