Options

Protect my Photos but share

dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
edited October 29, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I want to know if I can protect my Photos from "right click save as" But at the same time allow certain guests to be able to download a copy.

Here is my situation: I shoot pictures for a couple of semi pro football teams and I want to allow the players/or team staff to be able to download the pictures at no cost. But I want to not allow just anybody to save my pictures. Plus Can I put a water mark on the photos but not on the ones that the players download.:thumb
Dennis
http://www.realphotoman.com/
Work in progress
http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    dbveto wrote:
    I want to know if I can protect my Photos from "right click save as" But at the same time allow certain guests to be able to download a copy.

Here is my situation: I shoot pictures for a couple of semi pro football teams and I want to allow the players/or team staff to be able to download the pictures at no cost. But I want to not allow just anybody to save my pictures. Plus Can I put a water mark on the photos but not on the ones that the players download.thumb.gif
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Since we don't require people to login to view photos, that's not possible with one and the same gallery. You would need to create an additional gallery that is unlisted. Give the link to the unlisted gallery only to the people that you would like to be able to download photos for free.

On your public gallery, enable 'protected' (Power and Pro users) in the 'customize gallery' settings and make sure that the 'largest size available' option isn't set to original.
    If you're a Pro user, you could also add a watermark. More details on image protection is here.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,258 moderator
    edited October 29, 2008
    Keep in mind that right click protection is merely a deterrent. It prevents right clicking to save, but if the image is displayed on the screen it can be stolen by a hacker. I'd recommend using watermarks as well as right-click protection. And as previously recommended, block access to your originals.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Sebastian gave the advice I use in such situations. On my Pro account, all public-listed galleries with images I care about selling have limits on the display size, have protection enabled, and I've placed watermarking directly across the center of the image. Without the watermark, one doesn't have to be a hacker to get your image even with "right-click" disabled, just a keyboard with a Print Screen key and the free MS Paint program or any other photo program. This is the 21st Century, and if you have images you care to sell, you have to preclude folks from simply copy-pasting them onto their MySpace and FaceBook pages for free.

For folks to whom I want to grant access to the images for their own use (i.e. foundations I support through free supply of images or friends), I will create an unlisted gallery with no protection. Perhaps I'll set size limits (but for some I allow access to originals) and, as Sebastion wrote, I only share the address with the foundations, teams, or friends for whom the galleries are intended.

My galleries this month show over 530,000 hits with almost 190,000 photo views, and while what may be exaggerated (I've just added Google Analytics) it's still a lot of traffic and some of that is from people who may not be exactly honest. It just seems prudent to take a little precaution.