Absolutely love fall...a few portraits for the kids

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited October 30, 2008 in People
Found a park or two yesterday and the kids actually let me take photos for a change of both of them. Trying to get some pics for the grandparents for Xmas and also for the yearly blurb book for the entire family.

Comments and feedback really appreciated. Trying to learn to use fill flash so any comments regarding the use would be appreciated. I think I dialed down the FEC to about -2 on most of these. -3 in some cases. Just don't like the pin light in their eyes. Any way around this with camera on flash?

404772281_t2YHm-L.jpg

404772326_ZJJY7-L.jpg

404772412_kEhd7-L.jpg

404772745_qPsUv-L.jpg

404772847_mkGP6-L.jpg
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Awwwww, those are wonderfullll!!!! clap.giflust
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Gorgeous. I REALLY like that first one!thumb.gif
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thanks Angie and Jeff for your nice comments.

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Oh, beautiful! I love 1 and 4!! Your kids are going to break hearts, I tell ya...stunning.
    I'm not a big fan of that itty bitty flash catch-light either, but if the rest of the shot doesn't look over flashed (these do not) then I don't think it's as noticeable or bothersome. ne_nau.gif I'm curious to know if anything can be done about it.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thanks a bunch Elaine. Was so happy just to walk away with a few yesterday. I am just getting into using fill flash which I am starting to get use to. Maybe someone can chime in about the flash and pin lights in the eyes. I think the only remedy is to take the flash off camera and use an umbrella or soft box. Maybe someone will comment.

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    Thanks a bunch Elaine. Was so happy just to walk away with a few yesterday. I am just getting into using fill flash which I am starting to get use to. Maybe someone can chime in about the flash and pin lights in the eyes. I think the only remedy is to take the flash off camera and use an umbrella or soft box. Maybe someone will comment.

A longer focal length will of course make them smaller...but they will still be there. A more pleasing look can be gained by moving the flash off axis from the camera. I have recently begun using off camera flash for fill myself. It can be trickier than shoe mounted fill since it is less forgiving if not correctly balanced with the existing light. Since the flash is from an angle, if it is too strong you will throw crazy undesirable shadows. Two off camera flashes can compensate some for that effect.....but then you risk knocking out those beautiful shadows from the natural light. Up to this point I am comfortable using a single off camera flash placed slightly off axis from the natural light.....to just add a boost to the shadows. This seems to work well.

You can also paint out those teeny white dots. To get the huge bright pleasing catchlights you need either a nice big reflector, or as you have guessed a shoot through umbrella...as increasing the size of the lightsource is the key.
    edited October 28, 2008
    Jeff thanks for the reply. I have been looking into taking the flash off camera but don't have a fortune to spend to do so.

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Beautiful photos and children. Wonderful job on all!!clap.gif
    LadyTX
    edited October 29, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Beautiful photos and children. Wonderful job on all!!clap.gif

Thanks a bunch LadyTX

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    So beautiful so cute
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    This is one heck of a set! I would have no idea you weren't comfortable with fill flash!

My favorite is number 5, I love the artistic effect, especially the mild shadowing on her face and the emphasis on the colors of the tree bark. Definitely my favorite!

How were you using the flash to make these shots?
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
    edited October 29, 2008
    So beautiful so cute

Thank you Awais!

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited October 29, 2008
    This is one heck of a set! I would have no idea you weren't comfortable with fill flash!

My favorite is number 5, I love the artistic effect, especially the mild shadowing on her face and the emphasis on the colors of the tree bark. Definitely my favorite!

How were you using the flash to make these shots?

Thanks for taking a look and commenting. I liked #5 as well with some natural light falling across her face. Just used the saturation tool on the tree and added a soft light layer in lab and it popped the colors somewhat. As for flash, I read Jeff's information here at Dgrin on Seniors and using flash and just started playing. Flash is on camera. I shoot in manual and meter accordingly and then set the flash dialed down around -2 or-3. Not sure if this is the proper way or not to do it. ALso I made one of these this week and used it when taking the kids picks.

http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    Jeff thanks for the reply. I have been looking into taking the flash off camera but don't have a fortune to spend to do so.

I feel like I should be getting something for advertising, I've mentioned this so many times. I'm on a tight budget, too. I use the softliter II umbrella with diffuser and my built in camera flash in commander mode with my SB600 flash in the umbrella. Didn't cost much, of course I didn't have to get any wireless transmitters or anything because of the way this flash can work with my camera. It's been working well and is very transportable.

Beautiful photos.

Caroline
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Absolutely stunning. Sharp, vibrant colors, wonderful composition...spot on SitterS
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thanks RBrogenthumb.gif

Caroline appreciate the suggestion on the equipment. Looking into a few options right now.

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    These are very nice Shane. The saturation on the lower half of the images are really blue (and I realize it's a preferrence thing). Just my take if you don't mind. I'd darken the face a tad to blend a better balance with the overall exposure/setting. It would bring a bit of vibrance into the skin tones and they eyes would pop. Lovely settings and poses. Very cute indeed and well taken.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited October 30, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    These are very nice Shane. The saturation on the lower half of the images are really blue (and I realize it's a preferrence thing). Just my take if you don't mind. I'd darken the face a tad to blend a better balance with the overall exposure/setting. It would bring a bit of vibrance into the skin tones and they eyes would pop. Lovely settings and poses. Very cute indeed and well taken.

Thanks Swartzy. Appreciate the feedback on the blue and the light on the face. Actually used NIK Efex 3.0 for processing on all of these. Like the software but need to get better at the controls. Appreciate you commenting.

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Sitters,

I just bought a pretty decent lenth PC cord. It was only 40 bucks on Amazon. I'm sure you can find a good one for Cannons pretty cheap. It's long enough for a decent 45 degree off camera, but you'ld have to be close to the subject, about 6 feet or so away. For the wider shots you'll definately want some remote triggers or the flash will be in the shot. Great pictures by the way. I feel the fill was a bit much, and would have looks better, at least for me, if it was dialed down a stop. But overall, great pictures! Keep up the great work.wings.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    I have to say those are some very nice shots! I really love this shot: clap.gifwings.gif
    SitterS wrote:
    404772745_qPsUv-Th.jpg

I'm not as fond about the first two:
    SitterS wrote:
    404772281_t2YHm-Th.jpg

404772326_ZJJY7-Th.jpg
    The reason is that her pose/expression doesn't seem to fit a girl her age; It's too much of a 'mature' pose for some reason, it seems to me.