Colorado and Utah Trip - Canyonlands

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited November 3, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi All,

I'm finally approaching the end of processing my pictures from my recent Colorado and Utah trip. Phew! It's been a huge load of work getting them done, but worth it for me. I wanted to share a few pictures from Canyonlands, where I only spent a little bit of time. While shooting Mesa Arch, I ran into Andy, Greaper, and a few other dgrinners whose names I can't remember (sorry!).

404836172_dmncw-XL.jpg
"Island in the Sky" - 40 minutes of 4 minute exposures. Canon 30D and Canon 20mm lens. I wish I had left this one run longer, but I chickened out. I couldn't sit out on the vast edge of that nothingness in the complete dark, so I left my camera and went back to my car. I then couldn't sit very long with my camera sitting out on the edge of vast nothingness by itself, so I had to go back and get it! :rofl

404836311_2fm9U-XL.jpg
"Mesa Arch Pre-Dawn" - Canon 30D with Canon 28-135 IS lens. 3 shots bracketted -1/0/+1 and merged in Photomatix. This was captured about 20 minutes before the sun actually came up.

404836321_a8upk-X3.jpg
"Wide Angle View" - 7 shot pano with each shot bracketted -1/0/+1 and merged in Photomatix. Pano stitched using Panorama Factory. This arch looks quite big, but it is really very small. There were 10 or so of us packed right in front of the arch, with probably another 20 or so around behind us.

404836489_UasoR-X3.jpg
"Sunrise Over Mesa Arch" - Canon 30D and Canon 28-135 lens. 7 shot pano with each frame bracketted -1/0/+1 and merged in Photomatix. Pano stitched in Panorama Factory.

404836470_aQRnY-XL.jpg
"Top of the Arch" - Canon 30D with Canon 28-135 IS lens. 3 shots bracketted -1/0/+1 and merged in Photomatix. This was probably my favorite of the whole set. Most everyone had left by the point I shot this last one.

404836386_o33tZ-X3.jpg
"Mesa Arch Infrared" - Canon 10D IR modified with Canon 20mm lens. 8 shot pano stitched using Panorama Factory. I shot this as an afterthought as I was getting packed up, and I think it actually came out pretty good. I also met a neat older gentleman who showed up, and he and I talked shop about photography for 30 minutes or so.

Thanks for looking! Bear with me, as there is only one more set coming finally. :clap

James

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    Beautiful set, James. thumb.gif Can't wait to see the final group.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    i know what you mean about being out there...
    it like one small noise puts me into karate kid mode...hahaha

anyway, your last IR i really enjoyed, great series.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Gorgeous work.
    Anybody can do it.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008

lol3.gif

Beautiful collection of photos and I'm sorry I wasn't one of the ones to run into you! I still have not seen Mesa Arch... yet. Ah, well next time.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Beautiful set, James. thumb.gif Can't wait to see the final group.

Thanks David! I appreciate it. :D The last set is just pics that I took while travelling to and fro around Colorado, but there were some amazing things to be seen. mwink.gif

James
    edited October 29, 2008

anyway, your last IR i really enjoyed, great series.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Ha ha! I probably would have been putting the smack down on a rock or something given how dark it was. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Aaron!

James
    edited October 29, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Gorgeous work.

Thanks! Appreciate you having a look.

James
    edited October 29, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif

Beautiful collection of photos and I'm sorry I wasn't one of the ones to run into you! I still have not seen Mesa Arch... yet. Ah, well next time.

Yeah, I was hoping to run into you too. :cry Well, if only to have gotten my smugmug strap! Ha ha. rolleyes1.gif I probably won't be doing the Arcadia trip, so I guess you are going to have to head out to Texas next spring for some lightning shooting. thumb.gif

James
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Very nice Jim. I like the snow capped mountains in the background of your star trails shot. I know F4 made 3 trips to Canyonlands and barely touched it (we went mainly to the Needles District). You could easily spend a week there and still not cover it all. Definitely on my list of places to go back to. thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited October 30, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Very nice Jim. I like the snow capped mountains in the background of your star trails shot. I know F4 made 3 trips to Canyonlands and barely touched it (we went mainly to the Needles District). You could easily spend a week there and still not cover it all. Definitely on my list of places to go back to. thumb.gif

Thank you! :D I really spent most of my time in Arches, and barely scratched Canyonlands at all. I could probably spend a few years up in that area and not scratch it. :)

James
  • work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Great photos, my favs are "Sunrise Over Mesa Arch" and "Top of the Arch". Thanks for providing the details of the processing and exposure.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Beautiful work again James. Thanks again for making some room for me on this shot!!
    edited November 2, 2008
    work2fish wrote:
    Great photos, my favs are "Sunrise Over Mesa Arch" and "Top of the Arch". Thanks for providing the details of the processing and exposure.

You are very welcome. Thanks for stopping in to have a look. :D

James
    edited November 2, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Beautiful work again James. Thanks again for making some room for me on this shot!!

Ha ha, no problem. Thanks for letting me know there was going to be a shoot at the Arch! clap.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Awesome set of a classic subject. The second is probably my favorite.
    edited November 3, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Awesome set of a classic subject. The second is probably my favorite.

Thank you! It was amazing how the coming sun (this was probably 30 minutes before sunrise) really lit up the arch in a long exposure.

James