Spill the Beans. What's your fav BW method?

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited May 7, 2005 in People
I've been trying for ages to find the perfect way to make BW portraits.
This example I made using the channel mixer and it took me way too long to get to this point.
I often see very nice BW jobs here. Does anyone have any great techniques to share?

21430238-L.jpg

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    YES!

optikvervelabs.com
    has a FREE plugin for photoshop called virtualphotographer, it's exactly what you need. tons of different ways to make black and white pics easily. the presets are great, but i always fine tune them. i have a gallery of pictures converted with virtualphotographer here. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised by your results.

here's one of my favorite pics (it's my girlfriend):
    19914979-M.jpg
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    I like the channel mixer as you've done her (and done well). It doesn't take me much time anymore because I created a script to do it for me. Now all I do is batch process a directory to turn all the files to b&w. Of course, I could do it one photo at a time as well :)

21120508-M.jpg

Lee
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    Love that pict of your girlfriend. I like Virtual Photographer as well...though I keep forgetting I have it :)

Lee
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    Love that pict of your girlfriend. I like Virtual Photographer as well...though I keep forgetting I have it :)

Lee
    That's funny because I also have Virtual Photographer. I used to use it with PaintShop Pro, but never installed it as a PS plugin for some reason. Thanks for the reminder Barry.

I also found this method at another forum which I rather like:

1. Create a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Just click "ok" on the two boxes that pop up. (layer-new adjustment layer-hue/saturation)
    2. Repeat step one to make a second H/S Adj layer
    3. Change the blend mode of the top layer to color
    4. Open the Hue/Saturation dialog box on the top layer and turn Saturation to –100 to remove the color.
    5. Bring up the dialogue box on the second adjustment layer, and use the hue slider to create the b/w look you want.

I’ve found that this I can also change the Saturation and Lightness sliders on that second layer to affect the loo
    k as well.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 7, 2005
    Maybe I approach this too simplistically but I just select "mode > grayscale" and let the program do the job; then I just make minor adjustments in contrast and/or brightness
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    Sometimes I convert to lab/L channel then grayscale.Back to rgb/ selective color/ play around with black white and neutral.
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    I use a gradient map
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"