Sun Shadow

picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited October 30, 2008 in Finishing School
Help!!
I have ball portraits that have a shadow of the goal post right in the center of them. What can I do? The pictures don't look really bad but it sure sticks out.
Thanks!

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    It might be possible to clone it away. Can you post an example?
  • picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    thanks Brad for your help! I posted a few pics in my site files folder. Can you access that? If not, let me know. I appreciate you helping me, other than the shadow I think they are pretty good pictures. Your advice is welcomed!

Chrystal

digismile wrote:
    It might be possible to clone it away. Can you post an example?
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Your site files folder must be unlisted... Could you post a link?
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    chrystalsphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6129867_w9ceP#379841092_Bxzui

thank you!!! SOOOOO Much!!

du8die wrote:
    Your site files folder must be unlisted... Could you post a link?
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    I gave it a shot!
    You can get to a full size version here if you want to use it.
    This is the best I could do, given the strong backlighting.
    http://www.kcrow.com/405495398_iQQE6-O.jpg
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Hi Chrystal,

Thanks for taking the time to pursue feedback on your work. I've found that while humbling, it really does help me to get better, and I hope the comments that I'm about to make will encourage you, and not frustrate you, in your efforts.

In regards to your question, I think there is one fatal flaw in the photo you posted. You placed your subjects between the sun and you. Let's see if I can illustrate.

:photo (shadow):pimp :ivar
    (You) (Subject) (Sun)

Because you're in bright sun, you got those harsh shadows going toward the camera. If you can turn that around, and place yourself between the sun and the subject:

:ivar :photo :pimp (shadow)
    (Sun) (You) (Subject)

You'll eliminate this problem. Of course, you might have other problems, such as overexposure, or shadows on the face, but with some gentle fill-flash or slight turns of the head, you should be able to eliminate those (or at least manage them). Yes, there are times (action shots) where you can't do anything about it, but these shots are posed. Even on a shot like this (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6122223_uh8CG#385053722_EFVCP) I can tell that the sun is on the wrong side, because of where the shadows fall.

I browsed through your galleries, and this seems that most of your sports shots have the subject between you and the sun. I think if you can think 180 degrees differently, you'll be much happier with your results.

Like I said, I hope these comments are helpful. These are all lessons I had to learn the hard way (by doing the exact same thing... posting and asking what I did wrong ... actually, I didn't ask...:D).

Thanks,
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 30, 2008
    The desire to get the subjects so they do not have to look into the sun is understandable, but as discussed above, introduces new problems.

How about placing the subjects in the shade of a building, and using a little gelled fill flash, to bring out the twinkle in their eyes.

Take a look at jeffreaux2's shots of his subjects, and how nicely he deals with these issues.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109579

and here - this is a great link I just found - sorry I had missed it, Jeff

http://www.photographycorner.com/articles/tips-tricks/tips-for-great-on-location-senior-portraits
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin