Prague Cemetery (B/W)

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited October 30, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hi everyone, seems like I'm in Other Cool Shoots all the time of late - I'm not doing people, landscapes or sports - just quirky stuff :wink

Anyway - here's some photos I took in August 2007 in a Prague cemetery.
I went back and re-processed them in LR2 with what I've learnt and found the results to be much more like what I wanted.

Here's a link to 5 in my smugmug gallery and here's a couple for your (hopefully) enjoyment in post

405223713_STuC7-L.jpg

405223553_isMcH-L.jpg

Cheers, Jase

Comments

• HarrymacHarrymac Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    cracking renditions jason, full of apmospherethumb.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Wonderful conversions Jason, here and in your gallery. Terrific compositions. I really love graveyard scenes. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    They are all very nice Jason ...:D
    The B&W is nicely done.
    Did you make the adjustments on LR2 directly on B&W watching the result or it was simply converted from the color work after adjustments ?
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Howdy Jason,

I really like the lighting and post processing, really gives them an errie feel.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Hey thanks everyone for the great comments! clap.gif
    I'm stoked the way they turned out - the last time was a really simple BW conversion and I always felt it lacked something - not anymore! :D

To answer Antonio's question - I've been determined to learn LR2 better and have been going through Scott Kelby's new LR2 book. He has one chapter on converting colour to BW with high contrast and I really like the effect it gives, although sometimes I have tone it back a bit as it can lose some definition if you go over the top.

So yeah they all started life as colour RAW files

The coolest thing is from there - the high contrast BW - you can really easily move it to a split tone ala this one:
    398554036_bRBUh-L.jpg

or this one:
    398564846_7dfUd-L.jpg

I've finally been able to make the jump from RAW+JPG to just shooting RAW and I'm sooooo much more happy with the results now wings.gif

Cheers, Jase
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    ... The coolest thing is from there - the high contrast BW - you can really easily move it to a split tone ala this one: 398554036_bRBUh-S.jpg ...

It's it a little bit IR type ?
    It looks pretty good. :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited October 29, 2008
    It's it a little bit IR type ?
    It looks pretty good. :D

Thanks Antonio! I really love the way those Florence shots turned out - so much more interesting than the colour versions!

I have no idea how close split tones may get to IR as I have no experience with IR at all

Cheers, Jase
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hi everyone, seems like I'm in Other Cool Shoots all the time of late - I'm not doing people, landscapes or sports - just quirky stuff mwink.gif

Anyway - here's some photos I took in August 2007 in a Prague cemetery.
    I went back and re-processed them in LR2 with what I've learnt and found the results to be much more like what I wanted.

Here's a link to 5 in my smugmug gallery and here's a couple for your (hopefully) enjoyment in post

Cheers, Jase

Jase if you wanna live in OTHER COOL SHOTS its fine with us rolleyes1.gif

Cemetery shots in B&W or Sepia or Infrared really have a lot of feel to them.

I like your take on things Jase, and the extra shots you posted in this thread are really cool too.

Scott Kelby really knows his stuff, I have a couple of his books,
    I just got the 7 Point System back out again to go through it again.

Thanks for sharing, great processing clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited October 30, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Jase if you wanna live in OTHER COOL SHOTS its fine with us rolleyes1.gif

Cemetery shots in B&W or Sepia or Infrared really have a lot of feel to them.

I like your take on things Jase, and the extra shots you posted in this thread are really cool too.

Scott Kelby really knows his stuff, I have a couple of his books, I just got the 7 Point System back out again to go through it again.

Thanks Skippy for the nice comments :D
    After like 3-4yrs of no slr i'm really enjoying it all again wings.gif

Cheers, Jase