Family Photos on the waterfront (10... eek!)

KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited November 21, 2008 in People
Hey all, I shot a family this past weekend and while they love the pictures and I am pretty happy with them I lose confidence when I come here and see some of the crystal clear images from you guys. I experimented with High pass filtering and the unsharp mask on a few photos with decent results but some things just seem soft to me. It could just be the negativity I have towards myself sometimes.
Sorry for the large number of photos...

Pointers and C&C would be great, thanks!

404158075_6NVz7-L.jpg

404170726_fFgHt-L.jpg

404184758_zxJnW-L.jpg

404214181_3HqtW-L.jpg

404220876_ganuK-L.jpg

404239901_us3PX-L.jpg

404248061_5dQMq-L.jpg

404275041_xc7qA-L.jpg

404266890_dWhXv-L.jpg

404286988_kwddn-L.jpg

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Some nice shots here. The one that jumps out to me the most is the two kids in the tunnel. I think the best group shot is on the steps. The light is softer in that one. Although, the mom's foot is cut off and there's something at the edge, maybe a bench, that's distracting. All the solo shots of the little girl are precious.

I think the family will be pleased with these.

Caroline
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Don't be so hard on yourself! You did a decent job.

The last one stands out for me. Why? The lighting!

I am seeing some blurry faces in some of these shots (softness). Is your shutterspeed fast enough? I don't drop below 160th/s just in case of movement. Is your aperture wide open? There is still a lot of detail in the background (ok when its interesting).

I like the composition you've chosen in many of these. The two kids shot in the tunnel is cool, but black and white doesn't fit (in my opinion). There isn't enough contrast or texture.

I'm sure they'll like #4! This would have been an easy shot for you to overexpose but you didn't! The only thing I would do is brighten the exposure a bit (hope you shot RAW) around the families faces. It seems a little dark.

That last one is awesome!! clap.gifthumb.gif Terrific lighting and that little lens flare on the photo adds a nice touch (glad you didn't clean it up).
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    In my humblest and bumblest opinion...

I posted a similar sentiment on my last photo post, learning so much in these forums minute by minutes looking through both amazing and not so amazing shots. Reviewing my own pictures with a much more critical eye than ever before...it can be frustrating

But, onto these shots of yours...I like 1 & 6 the most on the family shots as those appear to be the only ones where the dad actually has eyes. Just shadows on the other shots, I don't know if that is really because of the dad or if you were just out at the wrong time of day and there was too much sun in their faces to get nice open eyed shots. On my computer the skin tone on 1 is really nice.

I think you can crop 3 a little tighter a take a bit off the top there. Just down one bricks worth I think...

I'm not a fan of overusing the b&W shots but I think it works really nice in 8. I havent seen the original, but I suspect in color it's too distracting and takes the focus off the kids faces too much.

I'm not a fan of 10, but artistically to a trained eye it may be brilliant.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    I love number 4, and number 7.
  • KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thank you all for your comments, it really helps!
    I do need to improve things like cutting peoples feet off here and there; I tend to get wrapped up in the moment and just squeeze the trigger. I think I'm going to take the camera off continuous and force myself to slow down and look at things.
    I need to post the B&W so you all can see the color version. I tend to just do B&W merely because I like it. I'm not so sure I actually pay attention to the fact that the picture can handle it or if it even benefits from it.
    So much to learn...

Side note, Geospatial Junkie, I am in the Geospatial business myself. I work for an engineering firm doing GIS work. What do you do exactly?
  • houseofdixonhouseofdixon Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    I love #10. The style is just so perfect for capturing the girls enjoyment.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Some really good shots here.....#8 especially nice!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Spetacular shots in deed!

Wow!! clap.gif :ivar
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    #s 6 & 8 are by far my favorites...

unfortunately, for me, I think some of the family shots could have been posed better... the first one there's a gap, and in others someone's head is blocking part of another's face, making it look a bit awkward... but other than that I think you captured the essence of the kids...
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."