tadpoletadpole Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 8, 2005 in Landscapes
Sunrise March 20, 2005. Ruins in the Yucatan

19046652-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    That intrigues me. Can you give us some more information on the structure in the photo? It appears that it may have been built for the purpose of determining when the equinox has occurred. Am I close?
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    Yes please, more info?
    It is obiviously very moving for the people there.
  • Options
    tadpoletadpole Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2005
    Temple of the seven dolls
    Phil U. wrote:
    That intrigues me. Can you give us some more information on the structure in the photo? It appears that it may have been built for the purpose of determining when the equinox has occurred. Am I close?
    http://www.yucatantoday.com/events/eng-equinoxdzibil.htm

March 21 at 5 AM is the official day and exact time of the height of the spring equinox. This also marks the time that the sun sends its beams through the Temple of the Seven Dolls at Dzibilchaltun.

The Mayan city of Dzibilchaltun is located 20 kilometers north of Merida. This archeological site doesn't have the giant pyramids of the better known sites of Chichen Itza and Uxmal, but is does have its own special claims to fame. These include the placement of monuments that take advantage of the equinoxes and solstices, the beautiful "museum of the village" Museo del Pueblo, the refreshing cenote where you can take a swim and the Franciscan chapel building at the entrance that blends in with the ruins.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    tadpole wrote:

Thanks for the info - pretty cool stuff.