Day 2 of Senior shoot

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 30, 2008 in People
First of all I have to thank the ones for all their comments and cc. It helped so much. I took the advice and looked in a book that I have about portraits. I drove to the location and I decided to start asking questions about high school, personal life, etc.......it helped so so so much!! By the time we arrived there, we were chatting it up like old friends and I felt so good.

This session is by far......so far, my favorite. The pictures to me are so much better than monday's. I have another senior shoot next wednesday so if there are any nit picks please tell me.

405634265_vGbXw-L.jpg
405692558_kyA6h-L.jpg
crop is a little wierd, i know......but I think the client will like it
405692552_tA2kx-L.jpg
405639140_Bt2e7-L.jpg

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    This is a great set Julie!!! I really like what you have done, they look like fun, "modern" shots ... something that a senior will LOVE. iloveyou.gif

Only "problem" I see is that you cut off her elbow / arm in the last one ... I think it's a too tight crop, but that might also just be me .... ne_nau.gif
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Took me aback there a minute when I figured out it was the same girl as the last set. She definitely looks much more relaxed and you captured her "pretty" which I think she will most definitely be pleased with.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    There's a "night and day" difference between the first set and this one. WOW - you really put some of that C&C to good use!!!!

#1 - I'm not liking this one - only because it looks, to me, like she's hanging upside-down. I know she's not, but I can't shake it. As for the technical aspects - you nailed it but good. Nice exposure, nice catchlights, there's enough directional light to give some depth to her face, the DOF is just about perfect, her face is crisp and sharply in focus. Nice.

#2 - Love the pose - you got her into the "S" shape and with honors! She is relaxed and seems to be having some fun with attitude. And, while she's still pretty much square on to the camera, you've turned her just a touch - that turn, in combination with the stance just rocks! Not too sure about the light - I have the impression that her top half is in the last of the light and the bottom half is in shadow from a tree or something. Not much you can to about it now, but that's what I see.

#3 - Crop is weird and I don't think it's working. The perspective is fine and I think the high-contrast B&W conversion works. If the camera had been a step or two to the left and the doors more centered - this would have rocked - the whole photo would have been about symmetry with her being the exception and that would have focused all the viewer's attention on her. But, you're right, I think the client is likely to like it.

#4 - Easily the best of the four. The pose is perfect for her body type and she will love it - it accentuates the beautiful curve of her hip, minimized the those aspects of her that most of us have problems with, and brings the viewer's focus directly to her face - where it should be! The light is sweet, there's the catchlights in her eyes, there's enough shadow/directional light to give some depth to her face. WOW! I like most of the aspects about the processing as well, save that I think you could/should bring out a little more detail in her hair and apply a slight blur to the background (the bits and pieces are a touch distracting). If this is a crop rather that SOOC, I think I would like to see less sand abover her head and more of her arms, etc, along the bottom edge fo the photo.