Options

A Few of Pathfinder's Images from the Shootout in Moab

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 1, 2008
    Hi Fred. Did I mistake you for Nikolai? It is a red hat like you always wear, but some how I thought I remembered it was Nik in the dim morning light. If I am wrong, shame on me. I apologizene_nau.gif

Have you posted your shots from Utah yet?

Here is a 300% crop from that image - It certainly could be you, but I cannot be certain by just looking at it who it is. Again, I am sorry if my memory failed me here:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Very nice collection as usual, Jim! I always can count on seeing you and Kathy's familiar face and I really enjoy that. I also can always count on seeing a wide variety of great shots from you: details and big scenes, landscapes and wildlife and everything in between on your adventures.

There is really so much to see in the west. And I didn't see most of these !

Thanks, Stephanie.

Kathy and I both missed getting to spend more time shooting with you in Utah. We both feel like we learn something new from watching you size up and shoot a new subject. But not enough to make us jump off a cliff with nothing but a big rubber band to break our fall, like you and your much braver fellow climbers did last month. Our hats are off to you and the other rock climbers. 20 years ago I would have been right there with you guys, but 20 years ago, I was spending most of my free time under waterclap.gif

• Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hi Fred. Did I mistake you for Nikolai? It is a red hat like you always wear, but some how I thought I remembered it was Nik in the dim morning light. If I am wrong, shame on me. I apologizene_nau.gif

Have you posted your shots from Utah yet?

Here is a 300% crop from that image - It certainly could be you, but I cannot be certain by just looking at it who it is. Again, I am sorry if my memory failed me here:D

Yup, that's me and my fisheye Jim. My posts will be out soon. :D
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    I stand corrected, and have edited my first post. Thanks for the heads up.

I look forward to seeing you in Utah next fall as well. You are coming aren't you?

• Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I stand corrected, and have edited my first post. Thanks for the heads up.

I look forward to seeing you in Utah next fall as well. You are coming aren't you?

I am holding out for another possible international workshop before signing up on the Utah 2009. I've got to pick and choose. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The exif data for the double arch shot says 56 seconds, (with a 24mm TS ) which sounds about right. I was surprised that the exif data had the correct exposure for a time exposure > 30 secs - so I learned something new also.

With such long exposures, how are you avoiding the stars looking like streaks? They look great as real pinpoints but for 30 sec exposures, I seems to always get streaks. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the EXIF info.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Good point, Thwack. Shutter speeds longer than 30 seconds on fixed tripods do capture star movement.

Multiple images with 60sec to 2 or 3 minutes exposures are great for star trails shots.

How much star movement you perceive in the image, is a function of focal length. These Double Arch shots were shot with a 24mm lens - a very wide angle on a full frame camera. A telephoto would more clearly show movement at 30 seconds. Movement is always there, just not as noticeable due to focal length. Just like you can hand hold wider lenses longer without movement ,easier than long lenses. The light painted shot was exposed for 56 seconds and the star movement is not seen at the image size here on dgrin, but it is there.

Here is a 100% crop of a 30 sec exposure with a 10D( APS sensor - not full frame ) and a 75mm lens from several years ago

3355080_9Q4yc-M.jpg

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Jim, it was great to finally meet you! clap.gif

Great shots thumb.gif I particularly like the buck w rock and the pano.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

The Double Arch Shot is my fav

I agree! That's some awesome light painting on those rocks.

Great shots, Jim! Thanks for sharing!
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Jim, it was great to finally meet you! clap.gif

Great shots thumb.gif I particularly like the buck w rock and the pano.

I enjoyed meeting you as well, Ivar.

I am glad you like the buck and the bottle monolith pano.

I really enjoyed the Shootout this year!

• Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Thank you Jack, but I have to give Aaron the credit for the light painting. He did a superb job.

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    It has taken me a while to get caught up with processing, after over two weeks of shooting in Utah before and during the shootout. But I finally have a few shots to present for comments and criticisms.

Lower Calf Creek Falls in the Escalante-Staircase Wilderness - two frames from a G9 combined, but not as a pano - prints very nicely at 10 x 15 inches

Another at Lower Calf Creek Falls with a 5D

We shot aspens in the snow on Boulder Mountain - 5D

Nightingale and I shot hundreds, and hundreds of petroglyphs, and dozens of pictographs as well from hundreds of miles of back country double track. Many were not that great as images, but I have a few I like a bit.

From Buckhorn Draw in central Utah
    And another from Buckhorn Draw from the Barrier people
    And a landscape 5 frame pano from Cottonwood Wash up Buckhorn Draw - the bottle monolith
    We saw a few lizards - 40D Tamron 28-300 Di
    And a few deer - 40D Tamron 200-500 ISO 800 both frames
    We shot Double Arch with the group with Marc, and Aaron's lighting
    We shot sunstars at Turret Arch
    A fellow shooter at Turret Arch as well - Hi Fred!
    I shot Delicate Arch with a 50mm lens on a 1DsMkii

And I shot Delicate Arch with a G9 as a 4 frame pano

Great fun and a fabulous trip! I can't wait to go back to Utah again!

Wow Jim you got yourself some awesome shots, that shot of the Double Arch lit up is just amazing clap.gif I like the Aspin shot and the Panos too nod.gif

It was lovely to catch up with you and Kathy once again,
    have you knocked those TimTams off yet rolleyes1.gif

Take Care........ Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 2, 2008
    Awesome set here, Jim. I would also like to say it was good to finally meet you at the shootout.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Skippy, it was so good to see you again and get to spend a few evenings with you as well. I have not seen the Tim Tams, I think Kathy has them hiddenne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

• Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words Joel. I enjoyed meeting you as well. Hope to see you again at one of the shootouts.