Changing the look

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in People
Hey gang, thought I'd share some way out different stuff. Worked on backgrounds, grunge and the like for radicalized looks. Wanted to take these images somewhere completely different than "regular or unleaded"..LOL:D

405121057_bV5CM-XL.jpg

404896927_yfPDi-XL.jpg

405994692_LFvhS-XL.jpg

404896880_Tq4HM-XL-1.jpg

405994706_rvaWi-XL.jpg

404896851_YTbwy-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Some wonderful shots Dave!!! Love #5 in particular but a couple of great subjects!! thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    excellent stuff.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Wow...Love these...I wanna be just like you when I grow up!!!!

3,4 & 5 are my very favorites.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Yep, they are different Swartzy :Dclap.gif

Not sure if the drab processing style of #2 suits the bright spark that this kid obviously is, but I like it! I think it's the most successful.

All of them are interesting even if I'm not sure they work completely this time round. As experiments they have promise.

Best

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Nice twist on the usual Dave. Faves are 1, 3, and 4 but all are great with the blend job of texture being top-rate. thumb.gif
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    I have seen the textures used alot in other forums and like what you have here. I like to see different from time to time and of course it works for some and not for others. Not sure if I like the grunge look for the kid. I like #1 but really like #5. It works for methumb.gif

Great shots...all of them. Interested in the lighting if you would share?
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Hey David, nice series!
    Trying to get out of the ruts, huh? I hear ya..mwink.gif

I'm not a big fan of desat looks, so I'd say #1 is my fav.

The biggest nit thus far is the clear sparation between the model and the background, it don't feel like they belong together. Almost fieels like cut and paste action. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hey David, nice series!
    Trying to get out of the ruts, huh? I hear ya..mwink.gif

I'm not a big fan of desat looks, so I'd say #1 is my fav.

The biggest nit thus far is the clear sparation between the model and the background, it don't feel like they belong together. Almost fieels like cut and paste action. ne_nau.gif

I have to say I agree with Nik on this one. The only one that really works for me contextually is #4. The rest....well....headscratch.gifdunno
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Aaaaahahaha ... #4 is fantastic!!! rolleyes1.gif

Hola ... where did that lady come from, nice pic!! & I think the background works well! clap.gif

Not sure about #2 (but can't put my finger on it why it's not working for me) ... #3 is very pretty .... clap.gif ... #5 however looks too fake to me headscratch.gif

Somebody is having fun, huh?? mwink.gif
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    He Dave, I was going back through these shots and I knew I liked #3 but there was something that I was missing for me. After looking again, I think it is her serious look. For me the vibrant colors and very "spring" feel is competing with the seriousness of her look and that threw me. I would love to have seen a big huge smile and perhaps her head turned slightly to the right and back as if bursting out laughing. Sort of a "That Girl" (an old sitcom show ref if you remember back that far) style. Still, great subject and shots!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    I have seen the textures used alot in other forums and like what you have here. I like to see different from time to time and of course it works for some and not for others. Not sure if I like the grunge look for the kid. I like #1 but really like #5. It works for methumb.gif

Great shots...all of them. Interested in the lighting if you would share?

Thanks Shane. Yea, it's tough to find the right blend as experimenting with different colors, modes and textures. Then you have the overall mood of the shot to balance out. Nothing easy about it...but hey, it's fun...Laughing.gif:D

The grunge look in #1 would work perfectly if he was scowling.....but he is such a blast...don't think he knows how to.

The lighting: Magnus was with bounced flash (ETTL). The girl was set up in studio. Ring light camera left (as key) 45 degree. Fill light, camera right, very low pointing at a reflector low....bouncing a different look of light. The yellow one had an additional AB400 directly behind her for rim light/bare bulb (with standard reflector of course).
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited October 31, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I have to say I agree with Nik on this one. The only one that really works for me contextually is #4. The rest....well....headscratch.gifdunno

Hehehehe....I love you two. Crackin up. I'm glad at least they provoked a response....guess that's what photos should do, eh? I agree, this is totally a taste thing. The separation from background would work IF they were true backgrounds and lit/shot accordingly...Laughing.gif But hey :D

Even tho they are a bit out there, I still kinda like em. Thanks for speakin up! (I wouldn't expect anything less..Laughing.gif)
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited October 31, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Aaaaahahaha ... #4 is fantastic!!! rolleyes1.gif

Hola ... where did that lady come from, nice pic!! & I think the background works well! clap.gif

Not sure about #2 (but can't put my finger on it why it's not working for me) ... #3 is very pretty .... clap.gif ... #5 however looks too fake to me headscratch.gif

Somebody is having fun, huh?? mwink.gif

Thanks Angie :D. Magnus is the coolest (of course, he's my grandson..Laughing.gif). Oh, that lady...just another girl I shot..haha. The fakeness of #5 is correct. That was kind of what I wanted.....higher fashion/glamour look....the only thing I wish to have done at the time of shoot was find a great background like that and put her 10 feet away, then capturing the "depth" of that separation (not easily done as you know).

Yep, I am having fun. Don't know that these will get published tho rolleyes1.gif Again, congrats..you deserve it big time. Don't forget us little people when you reach stardom.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited October 31, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Nice twist on the usual Dave. Faves are 1, 3, and 4 but all are great with the blend job of texture being top-rate. thumb.gif

Thanks Travis! I know these aren't for everybody as some will really like one and some won't. Playing with the textures and modes/blends, etc. is really a great excercise.....with enough goofing around, who knows, one might end up with a killer image :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks Travis! I know these aren't for everybody as some will really like one and some won't. Playing with the textures and modes/blends, etc. is really a great excercise.....with enough goofing around, who knows, one might end up with a killer image :D

I definitely agree. I do a few every now and then when I feel that either it fits the subject or I need to get out of the same'ol, same'ol. I really like it for casual images of teens but have also seen some incredible images of infants and children using the same techniques but less grunge and more playful overlays. I think it also helps you see new potential in your regular shots as well.