Options

A walk in the hills!

gembobsgembobs Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 1, 2008 in Journeys
I was in the Lake District this week on a school trip, travelling up on Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn't looking good, there had been a lot of rain (about a foot in three days), and people were being advised not to go to the area. However, due to peoples connections, we managed to get first hand information about the conditions from someone who lives there, rather than what the London based news was telling us.

After a 6 hour drive, we were greeted with this veiw from our home for the next 4 days:

406045544_hAbYz-M.jpg

The lake was higher than usual, but the level was dropping, so we were safe enough!

That evening we made our plans for the following day based on the latest weather forecasts, and decided to walk up Whiteless Pike, then onto Crag Hill, upto Grassmoor, then down to Hopegill Head and then back to the car via Whiteside. In all about 8 miles, so not too far, but a lot of ups and downs, whilst carrying a fair amount of emergency kit, which should tire eveyrone out nicely!

On the Monday morning we got up to a fairly cold, but bright day, so set off on our little walk! Heading up the first hill, around 1300 feet, I looked to my right, and saw this view looking south over Crummock Water:

406045750_AFaLz-M.jpg

Then a little further up (around 1700 feet), the sun came out and I looked to my left (north) to be greeted by another stunning veiw! :D

406045638_uXznL-M.jpg

Then came the steep bit, so I put my camera away as I am not as fit as I thought I had hoped! Unfortunately the clouds rolled in and the sun disapeared to be replaced by rain and hail and snow, so my camera stayed away for a while! However, when we got to the top of the highest hill in our little walk, Grassmoor at 2800 feet, the cloud lifted a bit, so pulled my camera back out to take the view as best as conditions allowed. :dunno

406045858_vWh77-M.jpg

Then it was onto the last hill of the day and then down yet another steep scree slope / path back to the road.

I hope you guys enjoy the views from my little walk as much as I did! Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    AguadulceAguadulce Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Hello,

That is some very beautiful countryside, much different than I see here in Central America.

Very nice!

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Mike