Outdoor natural light portrait

halee1953halee1953 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited November 2, 2008 in People
I would like to share some of my shots done last year and I would be grateful to receive some c&c. These shots were shot outdoor without flash but some with reflectors.
Hope to receive some pointers. Thank you.

#01 - Shadows of Veil
406871679_czvmX-XL.jpg

#02 - Grief and Despair
406815848_2SmdY-XL.jpg

#03 - Flying amongst the Clouds
406873344_2Lxbn-XL.jpg

#04 - Chinese Wedding Head Dress (indoor with ISO1600)
406864645_7NrCV-XL.jpg

Thanks for viewing and hope to get some feedback.

Comments

• 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    It looks to me like you got a pretty good balance between light and shadow for all of these. Did you use the gold reflector on the top one? I would like to find a gold reflector that didn't have a little too much green/gold tone to it. Just a touch of gold, to keep it warm. Under her neck in the top shot is a little too much of that greenish/gold tone, imo.

I would be tempted to photoshop -> color range -> adjust hue slightly in that area (or something like that)
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    These are really good, I love the colors and lighting. Also, is it just me, or does #1 look like Jennifer Lopez?
  • halee1953halee1953 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    It looks to me like you got a pretty good balance between light and shadow for all of these. Did you use the gold reflector on the top one? I would like to find a gold reflector that didn't have a little too much green/gold tone to it. Just a touch of gold, to keep it warm. Under her neck in the top shot is a little too much of that greenish/gold tone, imo.

I would be tempted to photoshop -> color range -> adjust hue slightly in that area (or something like that)
    1pocket, you're very observant. I didn't noticed the greenish tone under her neck. Perhaps some hue adjustments may remove the greenish cast.

This was the reflector used and this time used as a mirror.
    #05 - Mirror mirror
    406821315_9oFXJ-XL.jpg
    edited November 1, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    These are really good, I love the colors and lighting. Also, is it just me, or does #1 look like Jennifer Lopez?
    Thanks, Shima, glad you liked these. She does look a touch like JLo in #01, but then this model, Kharu is her name, is like a chameleon and she changes her look every now and then. That makes her special and fun to shoot.
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Great captures of this beautiful model.
    I guess I love #2 and very last one with golden reflection most.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    The lighting is gorgeous as is the model. Mirror Mirror is breathtaking.

Virginia

Email
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Nice work with creative lighting.
    I really like the way these turned out.
    I have tried reflectors and my pictures always turn out like (*&^!.
    You are definitely doing something right...very pretty model.
    edited November 2, 2008
    kombizz, Flyinggina, zoomer - thanks for your comments. The Mirror Mirror shot is my personal favorite.

These shots were from a workshop conducted by Manny Librodo, a Filipino staying in Bangkok. The model (she's beautiful and talented) is a Filipina. The workshop emphasize use of natural light and Manny is very good in "seeing" the light and he tells us where and how to take the shots.

For example, this shot was taken in a small room and the light was just from a window.
    #06 - Dreamy
    407831340_kqccP-XL.jpg

Very simple light without even a reflector used.
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    I love them all, but #1 with the veil is my favourite. What a gorgeous model!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Absolutely beautiful shots!!! Wonderful color, composition and dramatic lighting in some. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    excellent!!!!!!! #2 is my fav

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Beautiful shots. In the first and third shot in particular I thought it was Jennifer Lopez playing Selena.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited November 2, 2008
    rahmonster, RBrogen, mmmatt, evoryware - thanks for your encouraging comments.

Yes, she does look like Jennifer Lopez in Serena. How about this one?

#07 - Lost without My Love
    407831208_bKnua-X2.jpg