"microscapes"

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited November 2, 2008 in Landscapes
when the weather turns to crap, as it does in this part of the country about this time of year (and will stay that way for most of the next 5-6 months), i usually find myself forced to resort to shooting "microscapes", small snippets of the landscape that don't involve the dreary, gray sky (which just blows out anyway...). it's an act of desperation, mainly... if i don't get out and shoot something, i get stir-crazy...

anyway, i took a trip to the local botanical garden to see if there was anything at all worth a click of the shutter. wasn't much, but i did find a couple of shots i liked... both shot with the 5D and 24-135.

vine maple leaves beside a small stream... 94mm, 1/1.7 @ f/9...

IMG_6010smps.jpg

a fallen leaf on a mossy rock... 118mm, 1 sec @ f/11...

IMG_6027sm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Really, really nice!! I love the colors, the soft serenity you have here, as well as your processing and use of selective light.

Beautiful captures of the season thumb.gif
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Great water shotclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Great shots especially in low light and no tripods as the Japanese gardens don't allow them. 10 Day forecast just looks terrific Rain, Rain and more Rain.

Ray Still
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    There is nothing wrong with mircoscapes!!! :) I really like both of these shots a lot!!!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Great shots especially in low light and no tripods as the Japanese gardens don't allow them. 10 Day forecast just looks terrific Rain, Rain and more Rain.

Ray Still

Ray, these were taken at the Bellevue Botanical Garden... tripods are definitely allowed! ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

edited November 1, 2008
    BBiggs wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with mircoscapes!!! :) I really like both of these shots a lot!!!

thanks, Brenton!
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

edited November 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Really, really nice!! I love the colors, the soft serenity you have here, as well as your processing and use of selective light.

Beautiful captures of the season thumb.gif

thanks! i was trying to get that sort of calm, relaxing feel, even though it was a cloudy, dreary day...
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Very nice!

I just got back from the Bellevue Botanical Garden earlier today and have a shot very similar to your first one (small world!). I love those Japanese maples. I've actually been waiting for the weather to turn to crap (overcast and rainy), as that's definitely the best conditions for autumn leaves which are now on the ground everywhere. It seems like all of October was sunny (which as you know is rare). Bring on the rain! By the time I get sick of it it'll be Spring.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Superb beauty !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Excellent Phil. clap.gif I like your concept of micro-scapes