Myth: Sensor Dust doesn't move

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited November 2, 2008 in Cameras
I have been looking at some of my photos that show stuff that has landed on the sensor
and contrary to what material I have read about sensor dust on the internet; a) sensor dust
doesn't just appear as 'dust bunnies' (soft out of focus specs) and b) it can move around
from shot to shot.

The photos below have been taken at f8 and with different lenses, and and in each shot the specs appear in different areas. Then in many other shots of sky detail etc there is nothing, weather shooting at a high or low f stop. So it seems that sensor dust can move around and can appear as hard defined specs, not just soft out of focus ones and always in the same spot as posts and articles about the issue suggest. Unless of course a UFO has landed in this neck of the woods! lol

Here are some samples:

407701380_cW4bj-L.jp

407701371_WUptg-L.jp

407701366_YcE5G-L.jp

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    yeah, it can move around some. the reason it appears sharp in some pics and soft in others is the aperture. they show up much better at smaller apertures like f/16, which is why they tell you to set your camera to a small aperture to check after cleaning your sensor.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 2, 2008
    Of course it can move around -- it's dust! I think your myth is a myth. rolleyes1.gif