Options

Why No Item Previews?

Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited November 6, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've never ordered any of the merchandise items from Smugmug (just prints), so I was looking through the options today as a customer would - and was surprised to see no previews of the items in question. The shopping cart is a slick piece of code, but a text description seems insufficient when trying to sell mugs, keepsake boxes, photo keychains, etc. The best option would be for the customer to see a live preview of my photo on their item, but a close second would be to see a blank or sample image of the item. Something other than just text.

Anyone else feel the same way? I'm a visual person (no surprise there) and I know I'd never buy one of these merchandise items unless I could see what it looked like in some fashion.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
The Blog: www.jasondunn.com

Comments

• Options
    JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    merchandies tab
    Yes I agree. I was surprised to see the same. I would like to be able to see an example of the mug, ect.
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Thanks for mentioning this. I've been meaning to do the same, but forgot. I have had a customer mention this recently. She wanted to see what the photo looked like on the mug, sweatshirt, etc. Apparently when you order similar items from Costco.com you get that option.

It would certainly be nice here as well. Also, she mentioned something about not knowing the color of the sweatshirts. I didn't look into that one.
  • Options
    ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    viewing merchandise
    Actually, there is a way to see what the merchandise looks like. See this link:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog.mg#Merchandise
    I imagine it would be pretty diffficult to show what the Client's actual photo would look like on the merchandise so that might never be an option. But I would think that Smugmug could make the sample images (as shown on the above link) available in our shopping carts. Why can't they do that? Looks like they are half way there already. The only option right now is to provide a link to the Smugmug page for your customers to see but then they will see the Smugmug prices. That option doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Shamguess wrote:
    Actually, there is a way to see what the merchandise looks like. See this link...

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for - that shows the products in a very favourable light, and I'm sure we'd all see more sales if the customer could SEE what they were being offered. It's a no-brainer...come on Smugmug, where you at? :ivar
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com