the queen mary 2 is in ny harbor

AndyAndy BicameralNew YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
edited April 24, 2004 in People
i was unable to get here arrival this morning, but she's now berthed at pier 92. she's huuuuuuge! both of these shots taken with my sony f828.

3650805-L.jpg

lots of action pierside today. here's an artist, trying to earn a buck:

3650807-L.jpg

more shots in my nyc gallery

enjoy (passenger ship) photography :andy

Comments

  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Posts: 21,315Administrators moderator
    edited April 23, 2004
    Andy wrote:
    i was unable to get here arrival this morning, but she's now berthed at pier 92. she's huuuuuuge! both of these shots taken with my sony f828.

    enjoy (passenger ship) photography :andy
    Very interesting shot. The police officers almost look like WWII era
    soldiers. I did a double take :)

    I hear QEII is outbound for sea on Sunday with a fireworks show. I bet
    that will be a great shoot!

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ruttrutt Cave canem! Posts: 6,511Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    I just saw the picture of the QMII on the cover of the NY Times and then I saw your shot. I had just been thinking of making a trip to NYC that would include visiting this ship.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Very interesting shot. The police officers almost look like WWII era
    soldiers. I did a double take :)

    I hear QEII is outbound for sea on Sunday with a fireworks show. I bet
    that will be a great shoot!

    Ian

    thanks ian ... actually, the two queens will be departing together on sunday ... another first for cunard :D

    :andy andy
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    I like the sepia tone, Andy, it does make it look like the old WW2 shots. The AP had a nice, backlit sunrise shot, taken from the NJ side as she sailed in.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I like the sepia tone, Andy, it does make it look like the old WW2 shots. The AP had a nice, backlit sunrise shot, taken from the NJ side as she sailed in.

    thx

    there were some awesome photos in the print edition of the nytimes today. stunning in fact.

    :andy andy
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Sea Urchin Posts: 339Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    Great shots!

    Did you guys see the footage of that thing going under the bridge??? Oh my God, I kept thinking, "They've got to take on more ballast, Captain! We cannah raise the bridge!"
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • ruttrutt Cave canem! Posts: 6,511Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    Andy wrote:
    thx

    there were some awesome photos in the print edition of the nytimes today. stunning in fact.

    :andy andy
    These are online if you have a subscription. Perhaps this link will work. If not, follow the links from the front page -> New York Region. The story "A Queen Arives" is in the right hand column. At the bottom of the column is a link "images".

    The image look much better online than in the newspaper, natch.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    These are online if you have a subscription. Perhaps this link will work. If not, follow the links from the front page -> New York Region. The story "A Queen Arives" is in the right hand column. At the bottom of the column is a link "images".

    The image look much better online than in the newspaper, natch.
    yep, i saw the slide show. all the photos i wish i had got !

    sigh
  • ruttrutt Cave canem! Posts: 6,511Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    Andy wrote:
    yep, i saw the slide show. all the photos i wish i had got !

    sigh
    There is something to be said for essentially infinite resources. I'd like to be able to order up a helicopter occasionally, wouldn't you?
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    There is something to be said for essentially infinite resources. I'd like to be able to order up a helicopter occasionally, wouldn't you?

    yuh. well, i'm making do by going back on sunday. already scoped out ;-)
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Posts: 21,315Administrators moderator
    edited April 24, 2004
    Andy wrote:
    yuh. well, i'm making do by going back on sunday. already scoped out ;-)
    I, for one, am looking forward to those pics :)

    I hadn't heard about the two ships sailing together. That's some serious
    history.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    These are online if you have a subscription. Perhaps this link will work. If not, follow the links from the front page -> New York Region. The story "A Queen Arives" is in the right hand column. At the bottom of the column is a link "images".

    The image look much better online than in the newspaper, natch.

    Thanks for the link, Rutt. Some excellent pics.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Daniel ChuiDaniel Chui UCSD Student Posts: 65Registered Users Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Hey Andy! I missed this earlier on DPreview. This is my first post on Digital Grin.

    I really love the boat shot, it seems like it was taken a long time ago... reminds me of the Titanic.

    - Chui

    Andy wrote:
    i was unable to get here arrival this morning, but she's now berthed at pier 92. she's huuuuuuge! both of these shots taken with my sony f828.

    3650805-L.jpg

    lots of action pierside today. here's an artist, trying to earn a buck:

    3650807-L.jpg

    more shots in my nyc gallery

    enjoy (passenger ship) photography :andy
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Hey Andy! I missed this earlier on DPreview. This is my first post on Digital Grin.

    I really love the boat shot, it seems like it was taken a long time ago... reminds me of the Titanic.

    - Chui

    welcome aboard the the good ship dgrin, sailor clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

    :andy
Sign In or Register to comment.