Obama Rally in Columbia, MO.

KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited November 4, 2008 in People
On Thursday, Sen. Barack Obama held a campaign rally on the campus of the University of Missouri-Columbia on Carnahan Quad (named for the late Mel Carnahan, former governor who died in a plane crash while campaigning for the US Senate). Some shots I thought you might like...

Some of the stage decorations

408344472_TKU9u-M-1.jpg

408378030_FZFSo-M-1.jpg

State auditor Susan Montee

408345030_yM7MN-M-1.jpg

Secretary of State Robin Carnahan (Mel's daughter)

408345443_KSPza-M-1.jpg

Attorney General (and candidate for governor) Jay Nixon

408345868_HDnJA-M-1.jpg

408347591_cdhUw-M-1.jpg

Senator Barack Obama

408371465_GHKcA-M-1.jpg

408374506_5VLDz-M-1.jpg

408377225_FFmmL-M-1.jpg

408388923_FQffE-M-1.jpg

C&C are welcome, as always.
Alan H.
http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Wonderful series. Can't believe you got that close to Obama.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Shweet! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    C&C are welcome, as always.

Well, I'm not too crazy about all the harsh microphone shadows on the faces in your first few shots. It's always better to shoot from angle if people (singers, etc) are at mics. And the speaking shots of Obama aren't very dynamic considering how dynamic he is when he speaks. Looks like his mic may have been nailed down though, which usually isn't the case with his rallies.

If you were just a spectator, these are alright and I get that you can't move around much. But if you're a working photojournalist, well, there's not much here to indicate Obama is at the end of a very, very, very long and heated campaign.

Just my two-cents, of course. And for a point of reference, I've been a news photographer for three Obama rallies, two Hillary rallies, and one McCain event in the past year here in Oregon.

Here are a couple of my Obama pics:

97299058.jpg

85241047.jpg

94500479.jpg

94500489.jpg

97299047.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited November 3, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    ...I've been a news photographer for three Obama rallies, two Hillary rallies, and one McCain event in the past year here in Oregon.
    You lucky dog you...mwink.gif
    Great captures! thumb.gif
    edited November 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    You lucky dog you...mwink.gif
    Sometimes lucky. With news photography, you gotta take the good with the bad. mwink.gif

105461423.jpg

105461517.jpg

105461518.jpg

105461435.jpg

edited November 3, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Sometimes lucky. With news photography, you gotta take the good with the bad. mwink.gif
    DUDE!!!bowdown.gif
  • KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Well, I'm not too crazy about all the harsh microphone shadows on the faces in your first few shots. It's always better to shoot from angle if people (singers, etc) are at mics. And the speaking shots of Obama aren't very dynamic considering how dynamic he is when he speaks. Looks like his mic may have been nailed down though, which usually isn't the case with his rallies.

If you were just a spectator, these are alright and I get that you can't move around much. But if you're a working photojournalist, well, there's not much here to indicate Obama is at the end of a very, very, very long and heated campaign.

Just my two-cents, of course. And for a point of reference, I've been a news photographer for three Obama rallies, two Hillary rallies, and one McCain event in the past year here in Oregon.

I was on the press risers for all of those shots. And there wasn't a lot of room to move around in after the traveling press corps got there (2 buses full).

Did the best I could with the light and locations I had. I never did find out if I could go into the buffer zone around the stage or not, or I would have had some closer shots. If anything, this rally was the personification of the old Will Rogers line, "I belong to no organized party. I'm a Democrat."
    Alan H.
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
    edited November 3, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Wonderful series. Can't believe you got that close to Obama.

Thank you. :)

I can't believe I got that close either... I'm just glad the dog they had sniff my stuff didn't need to relieve himself... ;)
    Alan H.
    edited November 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Shweet! thumb.gif

Glad you like them. :)
    Alan H.
    edited November 3, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    I never did find out if I could go into the buffer zone around the stage or not, or I would have had some closer shots. If anything, this rally was the personification of the old Will Rogers line, "I belong to no organized party. I'm a Democrat."

Oh, the rallies all have an air of disorganization like that -- GOP or Republican. The only real change is when someone actually becomes president. Then you have to hurry up and wait even longer.

One thing I've learned though, get off those risers for at least a few shots. If you have the credentials, see how other photogs are doing it. They often grab a select group of photogs and give them backstage or stage access for a few minutes during these events. Do your best to meet the local campaign rep then try to get a sense of how much access they'll give you and how close they are to the national campaign.

Also, it helps to joke around a bit before the event with the national press. They're usually a lot more familiar with how it's all run and a lot of them are actually nice and will help you out.

• TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Well done Alan.
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    dogwood wrote:

Awesome shots.
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Awesome shots, from all of you! :D
    Here are a few of my own, from a while ago. These are from a rally in Boston, in February 2008. I was up on the press-stand, which was quite a bit away from the stage.

Barak Obama and Ted Kennedy
    406617070_QQKpi-XL-LB.jpg

Ted Kennedy, Barak Obama, Caroline Kennedy, Deval Patrick and John Kerry
    406617142_4j7a3-L.jpg

The entire gallery is here:
    http://www.streetsofboston.com/gallery/6419928_VY5Fd
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================