Poster - Final Product

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 17, 2008 in Sports
Whew I am cross eyed and my hands ache, but it is done. Getting the signatures on was a major PITA, but as has been pointed out this is a labor of love.

408720605_XC57n-L-0.jpg

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    It looks good. The signatures really added a nice touch!

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Nice jobclap.gifthumb.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Looks good. thumb.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Colleen, april, clemensphoto - thanks for the feedback that got me here.
    Hi Jeremy, and thanks for the thumbs up.

Got a pretty good response from the coach - believe it or not, he finds it too busy with 2 team photos and all the coach photos! (d'oh!). Anyway, some minor tweaks, like combining the two sets of text, and likely to eliminate the pics of coaches, and we are set.!

ann
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I must say Ann, I like this waaaaaayyyyyyy better than the ones that I saw earlier. Well done:ivar
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited November 4, 2008
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    I must say Ann, I like this waaaaaayyyyyyy better than the ones that I saw earlier. Well done:ivar

Hi Dave, thanks! I agree that this version is much better. I like using the resource here for reality checks before I go too far down one path. And I have learned to save layers independently from the total project too (a hard lesson to be sure).

ann
  • DEPM20DEPM20 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Sports Posters
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Whew I am cross eyed and my hands ache, but it is done. Getting the signatures on was a major PITA, but as has been pointed out this is a labor of love.

408720605_XC57n-L-0.jpg
    Ann, I have a question . . what size did you set your canvas size to be . .how did you allow for the trimming during the cropping of the finished product . .my fear is getting someone's head cut out or something like that . . do you just not move photos to the edge ?? Trying to understand this before I put too much time into a poster only to find out the hard way. Thanks for any info ..

http://www.dpm.smugmug.com
    edited November 13, 2008
    DEPM20 wrote:
    Ann, I have a question . . what size did you set your canvas size to be . .how did you allow for the trimming during the cropping of the finished product . .my fear is getting someone's head cut out or something like that . . do you just not move photos to the edge ?? Trying to understand this before I put too much time into a poster only to find out the hard way. Thanks for any info ..

http://www.dpm.smugmug.com

Well, I have learned the hard way, so let me share:
    First, to set the canvs size: File>New> then I chose 24 x 36 inches, 300 dpi, transparent background.
    I set a 1/2 inch zone around the perimeter of the canvas to allow for 'bleed'/trim. I did this by putting 'guides' onto the project. (View>Show>Guides, then click in the ruler and drag the guide to the spot you want it. Top ruler for horizontal guides, side ruler for vertical guides).

I made sure everything was within those guides, and also used many more for lining things up and centering etc.

I took the time to set all of that up before I added any elements to the project. Made things much easier. I also made each individual player photo/plaque to the same size as the space they take up on the poster(5x5 inches) before pasting them onto the canvas. (And by doing that, I have a whole set of individual posters for sale)

HTH, and let me know of other questions.

BTW, here is the real final product:
    413257700_GULSu-XL.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Ann,

This is stunning work and something you can be very proud of!! I don't even want to know how many layers were involved in putting this together.

However, is it too late to make a couple of very small corrections? The "squares" in the left column are nearly spot on - #7 is mis-aligned with the rest in that column. However, the "squares" in the right column all need some attention to detail. Sizing, spacing between them, and alignment are not consistant and I fear this could very well show in the final print product. The strict regularity in the composition makes more likely that it will be seen.

Just trying to help out...
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Very nice! thumb.gif I would reverse the gradient in the background so the white blends into the trees on the bottom (right now its glaringly apparent). Other than that well done! clap.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with both of the previous two comments. Little details will drive you crazy after the fact IMO, but a definite good job on taking on this project.clap.gif
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited November 13, 2008
    Thanks guys. I am actually just popping out of a business mtg, so no time for detailed responses.

1. Scott - thanks - many layers!
    I have a 13x19 proof and noted the fixes you have outlined.

2. Gradient - well, the customer was given multiple options there, and 3 different proofs, and this is the final decision. Gallery of Choices

I could tweak it endlessly, given the opportunity!!! Need to say :It is finished!

Thanks for all of your support!!!

ann
  • OnDeck29OnDeck29 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    what i did for my daughter's softball team
    i posted this on the other thread but i'll put it here too

go to www.ondeck.photoreflect.com

click on the goodlettsvillestorm 10u gallery link and you see them

i made a 16 x 20 for each player and coach and they are all individualized
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    The final product looks Great! I agree with the coach on the first one, too busy! KS
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, I have learned the hard way, so let me share:
    First, to set the canvs size: File>New> then I chose 24 x 36 inches, 300 dpi, transparent background.
    I set a 1/2 inch zone around the perimeter of the canvas to allow for 'bleed'/trim. I did this by putting 'guides' onto the project. (View>Show>Guides, then click in the ruler and drag the guide to the spot you want it. Top ruler for horizontal guides, side ruler for vertical guides).

I made sure everything was within those guides, and also used many more for lining things up and centering etc.

I took the time to set all of that up before I added any elements to the project. Made things much easier. I also made each individual player photo/plaque to the same size as the space they take up on the poster(5x5 inches) before pasting them onto the canvas. (And by doing that, I have a whole set of individual posters for sale)

HTH, and let me know of other questions.

BTW, here is the real final product:
    413257700_GULSu-XL.jpg
    I agree with coach on the first one too busy, but the final product looks GREAT! I love the action shot, plain shot, signature combo! KS
    edited November 17, 2008
    Thanks everyone

The team has now seen the proof, and are thrilled! (Whew!)

I have received multiple PMs and emails about 'how to', so will make a tutorial one day soon.

ann