Nikon VR Useful or Not so much?

houseofdixonhouseofdixon Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 9, 2009 in Cameras
I just had to replace a 18-55 lens and could only find one with the VR feature on it. Can someone explain this feature, how it works, how good is it? My interest was piqued when I saw the VR in the model name as I was searching. The lens should be here today, so I'll test after i have it as well.

Full lens model # on website: AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Comments

• jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    VR rocks! allows you to hand hold at VERY low speeds - good for 3 or 4 stops
    Don't think it's great for moving objects though - kids are just a blur mwink.gif
    Night and dusk - spot on thumb.gif
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    I do sports photography, and the difference at 200m with the non-VR and VR lens is HUGE. Let's put it this way. I no longer get motion sickness watching events through the lens :(: The photos are also that much sharper.

When in doubt, go for VR. Will also be easier to re-sell at a later date if/when needed, as many folks seem to go for VR too.
    //Leah
  • eyusufeyusuf Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    VR (or IS for canon) is really usefull for at least two situations (from my experience)
    1. you like to shoot in dim-light situations, i.e. dimly-lit indoors, late afternoon outdoor, etc)
    2. you like to shoot telephoto (200mm and up)

otherwise, the regular non-VR version would suffice.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 3, 2008
    I moved this to the "Cameras" forum because this forum also deals with lens issues. This thread doesn't relate to Nikon sales so it didn't belong in the Nikon Flea Market.

Carry on. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    I don't use Nikon, but my brother does and he swears by VR. So, from what I hear from him it sounds great!
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Basically, there is an electronic gyroscope in the lens that moves in the opposite directions to the shake/hand movements so that at a lower shutter speed, you are less likely to have soft images due to camera shake.

This feature can also work while you "pan" moving objects to help keep the subject sharp while blurring out the background.

It can be a helpful tool, especially if you shoot in lower light settings.
  • houseofdixonhouseofdixon Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone...I haven't gotten to play with mine yet...Package hasn't arrived yet...Hoping for it later this morning though...

I can't wait to see it in action, it'll be a nice feature to be able to slow the shutter down a bit.
  • M.MoranPhotographyM.MoranPhotography Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I just had to replace a 18-55 lens and could only find one with the VR feature on it. Can someone explain this feature, how it works, how good is it? My interest was piqued when I saw the VR in the model name as I was searching. The lens should be here today, so I'll test after i have it as well.

Full lens model # on website: AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Its depends what youre using it for.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    VR is useful for hanheld shots of static objects using slow shutterspeed.

VR is not useful for sports where high ss is needed. The ss compensates for camera shake. Also, VR slows down AF-S which is also useful for sports photography when you go from one subject to the next quickly.