night football

erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited November 4, 2008 in Sports
Finally think I nailed some night football. Aside from the amputated feet, what do you all think?

Comments

• PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Great job illuminating the face. Did you shoot with a flash mounted under the camera on a monopod?
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    Great job illuminating the face. Did you shoot with a flash mounted under the camera on a monopod?

Thanks! I had the flash on a cheap lightstand with the transmitter. PITA to keep hauling it up and down the sidelines and repositioning it, but it worked well. Missed a few shots B/C of the line of sight issue, but what can you do. I missed this leaping catch but may have saved it by jacking the brightness up in post, and making it B&W: what do you think?
  • rockcanyonphotosrockcanyonphotos Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    erson83 wrote:
    Thanks! I had the flash on a cheap lightstand with the transmitter. PITA to keep hauling it up and down the sidelines and repositioning it, but it worked well. Missed a few shots B/C of the line of sight issue, but what can you do. I missed this leaping catch but may have saved it by jacking the brightness up in post, and making it B&W: what do you think?

looks like it may work. However, you need to run a Noise reduction program on it. I think you may be amazed by the results. Personally, I use Noiseware.
    www.rockcanyonphotos.com

Canon 1DM4, 300mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 200mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8
  • PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I agree with rockcanyonphotos. This is a very good capture. If night sports is something you'll be doing a fair amount of, something light Noiseware is well worth the investment.

If you want to make using your flash easier, try mounting it below the camera on a monopod. You'll still get light on the faces, but will only have one thing to haul up and down the sidelines.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates