Senior Shoot

crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited November 13, 2008 in People
What a beauty! It was cold! She never complained once and we had a very nice afternoon. Amber was very easy going and a true pleasure to shoot.

C & C Welcome!

409696418_kw3iz-L.jpg

409696850_VT8Yq-L.jpg

409697189_R7TK5-L.jpg

409696627_dykq4-L.jpg

409697382_WTLiw-L.jpg

409696988_wWodN-L.jpg

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I really like these! Great colors, beautiful light, nice sharpness, relaxed expressions, nice processing, good variety of backgrounds! I would be very happy with these. Did you use any flash?

Nits...I'm not quite sure about the texture on 2 (I think that's what it is). I love the colors and light on 4...I wish she had a slightly different (more straight?) posture.
    Beautiful set! Great job! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Very nice set of photosclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Really nice series! ...Lens?
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    These are great! I like the texture on the 2nd. it is definitely a personal preferance thing. As long as she likes the photos, that is really all that matters and I'd be shocked if she doesn't love these! thumb.gif
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to make some comments.

Answers:

They were all with flash except 3 and possibly 5 (I can't remember), using a shoot through white umbrella, held by Mom.

Lens:

85 f1.8 on 2,3,5,6.
    70-200mm f2.8L on 1 and 4.

I'm really struggling to incorporate my 17-55 mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 into my shoots, especially the 35mm.

My biggest nits...

The texture on 2, I think it makes nice website material, but does anybody have any luck with people purchasing these?

Her posture and I fought her glasses all session (but I expected that, so no big deal, I guess).

I had the first half of a session with a young man yesterday and he has really poor posture. I kept asking him to sit straight and he would lift his head but wouldn't straighten his back. It was especially bad when he was sitting.

Anyone have any tips for getting him to not hunch. I tried repeatedly. I was about to slip a board down the back of his sweater.:D
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I agree with everyone else, these are really well done. Thanks for sharing.
  • WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I really dislike the crooked glasses... other than that, they are great!!! I like the texture on the second one.

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Wineman wrote:
    I really dislike the crooked glasses... other than that, they are great!!! I like the texture on the second one.

Z.

Ditto these are amazing but the angle of the head and crooked glasses in 4 catches my attention. I really love #1.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    I love these! Great lighting, nice poses, variety of settings, relaxed expression. Very nice!!!
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Got to this set a little later than everyone else!

On the texture of #2: I think if you had reduced the opacity a little bit more - made it more subtle, it would have been better. Glad to see you had the good taste to mask the effect from her face! :) However, what you could also do is mask her body with black and then mask in grey (maybe 50%) with a feathered brush in the area around her body...so the effect of the texture would be reduced as it approached her body. Then the texture would act almost like a vignette to draw the eye in to the model. Can be a very effective yet almost imperceptible technique.

Nice set!

- Gary.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Very nice what lens did you use? Great images...very sharp.
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Very nice what lens did you use? Great images...very sharp.

Thank you. I believe #1 and #4 were 70-200 f2.8 @f4 and the rest were 85mm f1.8. Usually f2.0 - f3.2.

Gary, I just painted it away from here face. I should have also reduced the opacity.
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I enjoyed looking at these.
    Jaye
  • TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    very nicely done.
    Ditto what others are saying about the glasses. 3 bothered me at first, but it grew on me. Love technique of 2.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Good series! thumb.gif
    My biggest concern is the nearly identical facial angle and facial expression across all the pictures. She does have a lovely smile, but I think it would have been worth playing around a bit more...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Great Photos!

I like #1 & #3 the best.
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com