Collage Software needed

bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited November 6, 2008 in Finishing School
Okay - a client has asked for a poster of an event I shot with the team photo in the middle and surround by wallet sized (approximately) of 30 photos. Any suggestions on software to do this easily.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Okay - a client has asked for a poster of an event I shot with the team photo in the middle and surround by wallet sized (approximately) of 30 photos. Any suggestions on software to do this easily.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I just did this with photoshop.

There are many different collage software programs out there, but right now you should check out the new smugmug partner, MyCanvas

ann

EDIT: This FM thread names a bunch of different options for collage software.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif What Ann said: PS is your friend deal.gif
    And so is google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=&cat=&meta=&num=&ie=utf-8&q=collage+software mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    bkatz wrote:

Thanks in advance.

While pretty much anything can be achieved in Photoshop if you know how, there is software that is explicitly aimed at creating collages and makes it pretty easy. I have several non-Photoshop friends who use FotoFusion and really like it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Not exactly what you're asking for but have you tried http://smugmug.mycanvas.com ? :D
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Not exactly what you're asking for but have you tried http://smugmug.mycanvas.com ? :D

Andy -

It is on my list to look at now that you had added it - just not sure it can handle what I need in this case - 30 pictures in a timeline surrounding a group picture printed at poster size.
  • TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    my local camera shop does it for you if you give them no more than 24 images.
    then you can select the layout, etc.
    may want to give a local printer a buzz.

just a thought.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:

:cry Five tries so far.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Problems? What's happening...

The myCanvas guys are very helpful. If there are issues, they want to know about it.

They're answering questions in this thread
  • JPCanvasJPCanvas Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Hi Ric, are you having any problems with MyCanvas? Please feel free to PM me, would love to get your feedback, especially if something isn't working correctly.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    [quote=
    JPCanvas
    ]Hi Ric, are you having any problems with
    MyCanvas
    ? Please feel free to PM me, would love to get your feedback, especially if something isn't working correctly.[/quote]

I used the contact link on the site.

I could not create an account...ne_nau.gif

Anyway after several attempts I was finally able to do so.

I can see I need to get my thoughts together before pursuing making what I want. I dislike templates and generic graphics. Although the use of them certainly makes things easier...the look I would want would require more work.

Unless I am missing something, it would be nice to have a precise centering tool for the elements, instead of dragging and eye-balling. I know there is an overlay and read out for precise measuring...just not easy to do with a mouse.

Is there down-loadable software or must one work online? While I was unable to get started with MyCanvas, I looked around the web and found MyPublisher which has software that could be more convenient than strictly online...although it did not impress me as much as the tools you provide.