What causes this?

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited November 4, 2008 in Landscapes
I captured these images in Iowa a few days ago. I was traveling home and pulled off on a side road to catch the sunset. It was a nice, normal and beautiful sunset. But after the sun actually set there was this shaft of sunlight that rose straight up from the horizon. It lasted about 15 minutes. The colors and clouds kept changing but the shaft of light remained in the same place. Does anyone know what causes this? The clouds were changing to rapidly to think that it was a break in the clouds somewhere over the horizon. It stayed in the same place, as I said, for 15 minutes. There are no mountains in Iowa (duh), so why this shaft of light?

409889530_i8CLA-L.jpg

409889273_FpLe2-L.jpg

409466787_mrySZ-L.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    My guess is that as the sun was dipping below the horizon, there was coincidentally a hole in the clouds that happened to be in just the right spot to create the shaft of light, like a single god-ray, but going up instead because of the sun's low position.

Very cool pics! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    My guess is that as the sun was dipping below the horizon, there was coincidentally a hole in the clouds that happened to be in just the right spot to create the shaft of light, like a single god-ray, but going up instead because of the sun's low position.

Yeah, I guess that is possible, but the problem is that the clouds were moving and the light shaft remained in place for at least 15 minutes.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I'm wondering if it's similar to something I saw in Maine over the summer.

360666837_EWEoo-L.jpg

Here the sunlight was just skimming along the bottom of the clouds to form horizontal shafts. This cloud bank just kept going overhead from the horizon so the light headed out towards the viewer. I wonder if your clouds that were at the right altitude stopped farther away rather than continuing overhead.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    reflection from a body of water would be my guess....

or this beam is linked to area51
    Aaron Nelson
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Great thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 4, 2008
    Clearly this is the portal to the alien ship. It lasts for 15 minutes because that's what it takes to teleport the test subjects :D

Seriously, I suspect it's clouds below the horizon that cause this. Be a great question for the Weather Channel people though. And the photograph is nice.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?