Canon 50D on Sale

sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
edited November 11, 2008 in Cameras
let me first say I don't work for any co.'s that sell cameras

BUT I noticed the Canon 50D is on sale on at least 2 websites.

I went ahead and ordered mine. It should be here Friday.
Sheri Johnson
Atlanta, GA USA
my smugmug
Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
SheriJohnsonPhotography.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    let me first say I don't work for any co.'s that sell cameras

BUT I noticed the Canon 50D is on sale on at least 2 websites.

I went ahead and ordered mine. It should be here Friday.
    Others might be interested in piggy-backing on your discovery - care to share what you found?
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Price is down to $1299 body only on B&H.
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Others might be interested in piggy-backing on your discovery - care to share what you found?

Sure thing! I found it with the kit lens for $100 less than reg. price on both B&H and Best Buy. I ordered from B&H. I was tempted to pick it up at Best Buy but when I calculated how much I save by not paying sales tax, I ordered from out of state and it should be here Friday.

So the price today is $1499 with the lens. For me it makes sense to get the lens for now because this is my first Canon.

I also bought a Sony alpha about 4 weeks ago.... so it will be a while before I invest in any expensive lenses for this new camera. I also intend to get the full frame markII after it comes out and I have the resources to buy another body.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I picked my 50D up at Best Buy about 2 weeks ago. I got the 28-135 kit with SanDisk Extreme III 8gb and 4gb cards for $1465 total. I found a 10% coupon online and had them match the CF card prices with Wolf Camera.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Price is down to $1299 body only on B&H.

It is now $1199 at B&H. ne_nau.gif maybe a few more days and it will be under 1K. deal.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Thanks. Deed already written.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited November 4, 2008
    oh my gosh! they dropped the price even further on the one I ordered, they already shipped my order
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I know dpreview gave it a luke warm review. I don't recall price on a new body drop this fast in one month prior. Perhaps it's both the review and the economy?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 5, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I know dpreview gave it a luke warm review. I don't recall price on a new body drop this fast in one month prior. Perhaps it's both the review and the economy?

I suspect it is more the economy. While the DPReview seems a bit negative, especially compared to the 40D review, most user experience with the 50D is very very positive.

I'm anxious to see what the new year (2009) brings in prices.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 5, 2008
    just since last night the page has changed yet again, now it also says free shipping, all this in less than 24 hours
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    oh my gosh! they dropped the price even further on the one I ordered, they already shipped my order

Call them up and tell them that. A lot of the time they will honor the new price.
    edited November 5, 2008
    LKN Dave wrote:
    Call them up and tell them that. A lot of the time they will honor the new price.

Trust me, I was sitting here waiting for 9 am to roll around so I could call them and they applied the discount with the new instant rebate.

B&H rocks! thumb.gif
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    edited November 5, 2008
    Trust me, I was sitting here waiting for 9 am to roll around so I could call them and they applied the discount with the new instant rebate.

B&H rocks! thumb.gif

Great to hear.:ivar
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Maybe it's just because Canon put out their seasonal instant rebate flyers before they had decided to add the 50D?
    I see it body only on newegg for $1299.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    The body is $1,199 at B&H now, with free shipping.

After reading the dp review conclusion I just wonder if the 50D is worth the few hundered dollar premium over the 40D? In the conclusion they said the extra MP's weren't high enough quality to render better images than the 40D.

I shoot with all L glass, and it sounds like the 50D may make better use of the higher quality lenses. I'm trying to decide between the two, but will probably go with the 50D.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
    edited November 5, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    The body is $1,199 at B&H now, with free shipping.

After reading the dp review conclusion I just wonder if the 50D is worth the few hundered dollar premium over the 40D? In the conclusion they said the extra MP's weren't high enough quality to render better images than the 40D.

I shoot with all L glass, and it sounds like the 50D may make better use of the higher quality lenses. I'm trying to decide between the two, but will probably go with the 50D.

Also from what I hear the LCD is worth the upgrade. Still waiting to order mine though.
    edited November 10, 2008
    I swear I didn't ask her to do this.... but they could hire her, right?

0e3d35f9.jpg

So this was one of the test shots I took on Friday to make sure all is well with the camera, looking good so far.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    edited November 10, 2008
    Yup - except you got her nice and sharp and so the catalog is a little soft.

But, that is one very cute photo. Something that you should use "against" your SO - hints for Christmas!mwink.gif
    edited November 10, 2008
    at least she was in focus, I could care less about the catalog being in focus, it was more of just getting her to cooperate in front of the camera for some test shots. I am having a bit of a challenge in seeing whether or not things are in focus properly with this camera so far.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    There should be no problem with in focus shots with the 50D. You can calibrate each and every lens you attach....and fine tune.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 11, 2008
    yeah, I was just saying it is hard for me to "see" whether or not I got the shot focused or not when checking them. You know sometimes it looks like it, but if you don't zoom in on the shot in the camera or on your computer, it can still be hard to tell on a 3 " screen. I am sure in time I will get a better feel for what is good focus and what is not in the 3" screen. And of course if it is a really important shot, I need to zoom in and take a closer look. I will have to remind myself of that.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    edited November 11, 2008
    at least she was in focus, I could care less about the catalog being in focus, it was more of just getting her to cooperate in front of the camera for some test shots. I am having a bit of a challenge in seeing whether or not things are in focus properly with this camera so far.
    So sorry - I mis-read your post. I agree, she could be hired for commercial work - very cute child! No doubt!
    yeah, I was just saying it is hard for me to "see" whether or not I got the shot focused or not when checking them. You know sometimes it looks like it, but if you don't zoom in on the shot in the camera or on your computer, it can still be hard to tell on a 3 " screen. I am sure in time I will get a better feel for what is good focus and what is not in the 3" screen. And of course if it is a really important shot, I need to zoom in and take a closer look. I will have to remind myself of that.
    Yeah, me too - I miss this step so often.
    edited November 11, 2008
    so far even on my test shots as I am getting familiar with the camera, it pays off to shoot more than one or two shots of the same scene or person.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    A test shot w/ 50D
    Here is a test shot with the 50D hand held shutter speed 90, F4 ISO 100 I as using canon 70-200 F4 non IS. jovitta
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.