Simple Leaves

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited November 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This was shot using a Canon 20D and an EF-180 f/3.5L macro lens @ f/9, 1/25 sec., ISO100, and fill flash located behind and below the leaves and remotely triggered.

Click to view a larger version.
407951290_x2ifc-M.jpg

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    So simple, yet so perfect . . . Your watermark even looks good on there! I'm no expert on this type of photography, but on the subject of "perfect" I have one question: did you deliberately cut off the ends of the bottom- and right-most leaves?
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Balance is fair, but really need the bottom right and left points. You think?
    Growing with Dgrin

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    KED wrote:
    So simple, yet so perfect . . . Your watermark even looks good on there! I'm no expert on this type of photography, but on the subject of "perfect" I have one question: did you deliberately cut off the ends of the bottom- and right-most leaves?
    Thanks for the comments, and yes the cut-off was deliberate. I wanted to tie-in both sides of the image with the emergence of the stem. Having only the stem protruding from the one side seemed to me to be a bit odd.
    edited November 4, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Balance is fair, but really need the bottom right and left points. You think?
    I played both ways with this. I think I prefer the way it is now to just having the stem protruding from the side. Thanks for the comments, too. thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Fair edit.
    Growing with Dgrin

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I'm really digging the simplicity and the balance. The use of negative space with the shallow dof really draws your attention to the sharpness of the leaves. Nice b/w conversion as well.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    This was shot using a Canon 20D and an EF-180 f/3.5L macro lens @ f/9, 1/25 sec., ISO100, and fill flash located behind and below the leaves and remotely triggered.

Click to view a larger version.

Nice Bokeh too David clap.gif I love the simplicity of the shot.
    I would like to have seen the leaves complete too.

Lovely Shot David thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 5, 2008
    Travis/Maxine: Thanks for the comments. Always appreciated!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    I'm just a sucker for symmetry. I really like this image. If only one leaf had been cut off, I would agree with the comments above, but here both cut off leaves are similarly shaped and oriented, approximately equally truncated, equal distance from the corner, and really seem to anchor the subject even more than the stem alone. (Shame that the stem doesn't bisect the corner, but you can't have everything!ne_nau.gif )

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)