Options

Proof help!!

picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited November 4, 2008 in Finishing School
Okay, somebody help me!! I have my very first customer off smugmug today!! She has ordered pictures and I have set a 4 day delay on them!! The photos have red boxes around them. Is that the way she cropped them? She ordered 4 4x6's and 1 5x7. They are jpeg shots and they are 72 DPI pics.. Is there anything I need to do!! Please help me, I don't want them not to be right when she gets them!
thanks
Chrystal:huh

Comments

• Options
    edited November 4, 2008
    One more thing, the pics are 3872x2592 pixels!! Somebody please help me!!
    Thanks once again

picmom wrote:
    Okay, somebody help me!! I have my very first customer off smugmug today!! She has ordered pictures and I have set a 4 day delay on them!! The photos have red boxes around them. Is that the way she cropped them? She ordered 4 4x6's and 1 5x7. They are jpeg shots and they are 72 DPI pics.. Is there anything I need to do!! Please help me, I don't want them not to be right when she gets them!
    thanks
    Chrystaleek7.gif
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2008
    One more thing that I just read that might make a difference.. The shot was taken at ISO 1600!!

picmom wrote:
    One more thing, the pics are 3872x2592 pixels!! Somebody please help me!!
    Thanks once again
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 4, 2008
    You easily have enough pixels for 13 x 8.6 inch images with 300 pixels per inch which is more than enough.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I sense panic on the horizon... :nono Trust the mug :D.

Did you setup proofs where you get to peek at the prints before the customer?
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    what software do you process with?
    If Photo Shop....then you can check your image size by simply opening the pic in PS and clik the image tab, go down to image size and a window will open that reveals the native dpi (72) and size inches x inches or pixels by pixels (then can be changed as you desire the inches and pixels are in dropdown boxes).....simply change the dpi to approx 400 and it should be close to 5 x 7 inches showint now clik ok and then clik the magnifing glass and at the top clik print size to see what it should look like......go back to image tab then image size and change dpi to 500 or 600 to get it to 4 x 6 inches and do the same for these......
    other software my work in a similar fashion......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 4, 2008
    I am not sure what you are asking? I setup a proof delay of 4 days before the order can be processed. Is that what you mean?

I sense panic on the horizon... :nono Trust the mug :D.

Did you setup proofs where you get to peek at the prints before the customer?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2008
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I use PS elements or Corel. I am just beginning so I am still trying to feel my way through this.

Art Scott wrote:
    what software do you process with?
    If Photo Shop....then you can check your image size by simply opening the pic in PS and clik the image tab, go down to image size and a window will open that reveals the native dpi (72) and size inches x inches or pixels by pixels (then can be changed as you desire the inches and pixels are in dropdown boxes).....simply change the dpi to approx 400 and it should be close to 5 x 7 inches showint now clik ok and then clik the magnifing glass and at the top clik print size to see what it should look like......go back to image tab then image size and change dpi to 500 or 600 to get it to 4 x 6 inches and do the same for these......
    other software my work in a similar fashion......
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    I use smugmug, and I believe the red boxes to which you refer are the crop either chosen by the customer or forced by the proportions of the print they selected. If the red box is smaller than the image all around, it means the customer figured out how to choose the crop they wanted. If it looks like they just chose the print size and ends or sides are cut off because of the proportions, you may want to adjust for them so things like fingers aren't cut off. Smugmug tells the customer what sizes the image can print well when they order, and the image is resized by the print service to have the best printing results.

Hope this helps.

Caroline