South Coast WA

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited November 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hi,

I took this shot a couple of weeks ago near Denmark on the south coast of Western Australia. I would appreciate some feedback on what you think is the most effective (if either!); Colour or B&W?

Cheers, Richard.

3004414197_26eb3d56c3_b.jpg

3005255956_298c613980_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/32094656@N04

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    i prefer the colour one, love the blues! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi,

I took this shot a couple of weeks ago near Denmark on the south coast of Western Australia. I would appreciate some feedback on what you think is the most effective (if either!); Colour or B&W?

Cheers, Richard.
    http://www.flickr.com/32094656@N04

Hi Richard, I prefer your colour shot too.
    Makes me think "Deserted Island" .... looks inviting.

You did a nice job on your B&W conversion. clap.gif

Seeing the plant/native grass smack in the middle of the shot is what I don't like about it.

The composition of this shot doesn't seem to work for me.
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Richard, I prefer your colour shot too.
    Makes me think "Deserted Island" .... looks inviting.

You did a nice job on your B&W conversion. clap.gif

Seeing the plant/native grass smack in the middle of the shot is what I don't like about it.

The composition of this shot doesn't seem to work for me.
    ... Skippy :D

Hi Skippy, I see what you mean. Had the grass been in the right hand third of the frame - with the top of it blowing into the frame........ I'll give it another go next time I am down that way. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers, Richard.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    While the B&W conversion is very well done, the colors in the first one are too beautiful to forgo. I feel that by emphasizing the plant in the foreground you've missed the opportunity to present an incredible sea/skyscape that is well capable of standing on it's own.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    While the B&W conversion is very well done, the colors in the first one are too beautiful to forgo. I feel that by emphasizing the plant in the foreground you've missed the opportunity to present an incredible sea/skyscape that is well capable of standing on it's own.
    15524779-Ti.gifWhile focusing on the plant was good, a wider scene would make this image really stand out a lot more.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gifWhile focusing on the plant was good, a wider scene would make this image really stand out a lot more.

Yes, I agree, I've created another learning opportunity!

I took a few 'landscape' shots earlier in the afternoon - I will post a couple soon. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Cheers, Richard.
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    R.Jay wrote:
    Yes, I agree, I've created another learning opportunity!

I took a few 'landscape' shots earlier in the afternoon - I will post a couple soon. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Cheers, Richard.

I'll join the crowd in that I prefer the color version better than the BW. I do agree that the BW version looks to have been done very nicely.. but it looks very stark and cold to me (perhaps that's what you were trying to convey?) as opposed to the color version which makes me think I smell a Mai-Tai nearby.... :) Amazing colors!
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic
  • piercingperceptionspiercingperceptions Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    cal_gecko wrote:
    I'll join the crowd in that I prefer the color version better than the BW. I do agree that the BW version looks to have been done very nicely.. but it looks very stark and cold to me (perhaps that's what you were trying to convey?) as opposed to the color version which makes me think I smell a Mai-Tai nearby.... :) Amazing colors!

I say the color as well. Though the black and white has great undertones. But the blues of the colored one can't be beat in expressing the beauty.

PP :D